With regard to one of the most impressive landscapes in Southeast Asia, Ha Giang should be included in your checklist. The fascinating land welcomes tourists from all over the world with such magnificent scenery, tranquil atmosphere, and access to the most authentic rural side of the North of Vietnam.
Every year, from the end of September to the beginning of October, there are a huge number of tourists coming to Ha Giang. As nobody wants to miss the beautiful scenery here when terraced rice fields change color from green to shiny yellow.
This land was inhabited by the people in Tay Vu during Hung King dynasty and named as Chau Binh till the 11th century.
Throughout a few ancient dynasties, Ha Giang has gone through many changes in the border and its name. Under the Ly Dynasty, Ha Giang was a part of Phu Luong district. The place was renamed to Chau Vi Xuyen during the reign of Le Dynasty, afterwards. Then in 1835, Chau Vi Xuyen was divided into Vinh Tuy and Vi Xuyen district.
In 1976, Ha Giang, and Tuyen Quang province (which was established in 1842) were merged into Ha Tuyen province. Finally, Ha Giang province was separated from Ha Tuyen, with the administrative units of 9 districts, and 1 town as it is today.
Top attraction in Hang Giang
- Dong Van: Dong Van is a mountainous province of Ha Giang, which is famous for Dong Van karst plateau park. Telling about stone plateau, many people easily imagine a barren landscape with only rocks and mountains. On the contrary, this land nurtures many beautiful, colorful and sweet flowers. Therefore, the beauty of Dong Van stone plateau is a combined place that fulls of majestic and romantic specialities.
Pure colored peach blossoms in Ha Giang
- As nobody wants to miss the beautiful scenery here, when terraced rice fields changes color from green to shiny yellow. One of the stunning landscape that attracts most visitors is Hoang Su Phi, located at the foot of Tay Con Linh mountain. Due to its geography, each year, Hoang Su Phi has only one rice crop. In that time, terraced rice field in Hoang Su Phi seems like a beautiful young girl showing off her curves with beautiful mountains and forests.
- Meo Vac: Gong on a journey to Meo Vac, visitors not only immerse themselves in the incredibly charming space, but also get to know about the unique culture of the ethnic people when visiting the Vu Mong (Vũ Mông) carnival, Khau Vai (Khâu Vải) or Phong Luu (Phong Lưu) love market. More importantly, it would be so regrettable if coming to Meo Vac without conquering Ma Pi Leng (Mã Pí Lèng) pass. It is said the journey will not be accomplished because this pass is considered as the top mountain pass, also the most amazing wonder of Ha Giang. Ma Pi Leng is very attractive to visitors, especially international tourists, who come here to admire the majestic natural scenery in one of the top four mountain peaks in northern Vietnam.
Thanks to its long history, Ha Giang is the home of diverse cultural identities of ethnic minorities, which can be discovered through cuisine, costumes, festivals, handicrafts, and traditional customs.
Travelling to Ha Giang, visitors will be amazed by the pristine beauty of the wild mountains and unique culture of people here; especially traditions of the local ethnic minorities groups, such as Nung, H'mong, Tay and Ha Nhi people. If you visit Hoang Su Phi on Sunday, Bac Ha Sunday market is a must-have destination. Visitors will have a great chance to see and know more about local people’ lives and special culture exchanging though the market. Moreover, you can also view harvest-ceremonies related to agricultural beliefs of the local people. Beside taking photos and sightseeing, tourists can participate in some activities such as catching fish in the field, harvesting rice and making cereals.
Field of buckwheat flowers in Ha Giang
Ha Giang can welcome tourists at any time throughout the year. However, travelers may prefer to visit the mountainous area during dry season starting from November to March. If you cannot endure coldness, visiting Ha Giang during April to October can help you avoid the cold dry atmosphere, but exchange to a hot and rainy weather.
It takes about 7-8 hours to travel by bus to Ha Giang with a mid-way stop. There are many sleeping bus to Ha Giang from Ha Noi at My Dinh bus station. Hai Phong starting point may cost a bit higher and takes about 11 hours driving.
- Cash is limited: ATMs can rarely be found in the area and locals hardly accept card payment. Therefore, remember to stock up cash before starting your journey.
- October is the sparkling month: Every year, from the end of September to the beginning of October, there are a huge number of tourists coming to Ha Giang to view harvest-ceremonies related to agricultural beliefs of the local people. Beside taking photos and sightseeing, tourists can participate in some activities such as catching fish in the field, harvesting rice and making cereals. If you can manage the schedule, make sure not to miss this part!