Halong Bay at a Glance
Cruising through Halong Bay is like entering a picture where the azure sky, majestic islands, and emerald sea harmonize. With the unique and amazing experience, Halong Bay is definitely a highlight that can't be missed in your Vietnam tours!
With numerous stunning islands, caves, and beaches, Halong Bay has many places to visit. The most well-known attractions are Sung Sot Cave, Dau Go, and Luon Cave, where you can witness gorgeous stalactites and stalagmites. If you want a less-visited route, let’s travel to the pristine Lan Ha & Bai Tu Long Bay.
- Titop Island
- Bai Tu Long Bay
- Lan Ha Bay
- Ba Trai Dao Islet
- Sung Sot Cave
- Cua Van Village
- Thien Cung Cave
- Luon Cave
- Dau Go Cave
Halong Bay has thousands of gorgeous caves to explore, plenty of pristine islands and beaches to swim and kayak on, a handful of floating villages to visit, and a wide range of cuisine and drinks to sample.
There are various options for Halong Bay itinerary. You can easily find and choose different cruise duration (one, 2, or 3 days), areas, and departure ports based on your preference.
Classic Halong Bay Route:
- Visit Titop Island - Luon Cave - Sung Sot Cave for 2D-1N cruise
- Explore Pearl Farm or Me Cung Cave for the extra day in the 3D-2N cruise
Lan Ha Bay Route:
- Travel to Ao Ech - Tra Bau - Dark & Bright Cave for 2D-1N cruise
- Visit Viet Hai Village or Ba Trai Dao in the 3D-2N tour’s extra day
Bai Tu Long Bay Route:
- Follow the Cong Do - Cap La - Thien Canh Son for the 3D-2N cruise
- Visit Vung Vieng Village for the 3-day tour extra day.
Halong Bay Map & Itinerary
Halong Bay weather features humid and tropical monsoon in Northern Vietnam. The temperature fluctuates between 15°C - 35°C, and the annual rainfall is around 2.000mm. This bay has a clear weather division according to the season.
The best time to visit is in March, April, September, and October since the weather is mild at this time with no storms. For more information, you can see the board below:
(Feb - Apr)
(May - July)
(Aug - Oct)
(Nov - Jan)
Halong Bay weather overview
Yes, cruise in Halong Bay is definitely worth a try. As one of the world-famous natural heritage sites, Halong Bay features the best destination for cruising in Vietnam. Why is it worth it?
- Deeper exploration: Cruising is the best way to go further into the beautiful archipelago of the Gulf of Tonkin
- Perfect seascape: Stay 2 - 3 days relaxing on the ship, soaking up the fresh air and tranquility of the bay
- Exciting activities: Retreat by entertaining onboard (mini golf, poker, pool, spa, karaoke) and offboard (kayaking, boat rowing, cave visiting, catamaran, etc.)
For the best travel experience, the best time to go to Halong Bay is March - April and October - November, when the weather is cool (20 - 28°C) and dry (less rainfall).
Also, you can choose other months to visit:
- May - September: Perfect time to get summer cruise deals and flash sales up to 40% OFF
- January - April: Enjoyable time to take part in Halong festivals and welcome Tet Holiday onboard
To better plan, please check out Best Time to Visit Halong Bay for Perfect Weather & Great Deals
On average, Halong Bay cruise price 2023 ranges between US $125 - $300/person for a 1-night cruise and US $65 - $120/person for a day trip.
Most cruises do not include the transfer in their package. You have to pay extra for the transfer if you want to be picked up from Hanoi.
Please see the prices table below for your reference about tourist season and duration.
|US$ 65 - 95||US$ 75 - 120|
2 days 1 night
|US$ 120 - 200||US$ 130 - 300|
3 days 2 nights
|US$ 220 - 400||US$ 240 - 500|
Shuttle bus round trip
|US$ 30 - 40||US$ 30 - 40|
* The price is per person in USD
* Low season: May - Sep, High season: Jan - Apr & Oct - Dec
How long you stay in Halong Bay really depends on your budget and available time. In fact, the 1-night cruise is more popular among most Halong Bay tourists (up to 70%).
- 1 night: On a budget from US $125/pax, you can visit 1 - 2 attractions and join tai chi, cooking class, kayaking, or boat rowing onboard.
- 2 nights: With US $225/pax or more, you can add on 1 - 2 hidden places to visit and enjoy more time sightseeing and relaxing on the cruise.
Still wondering about your plan? Please keep in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org or +84 904 699 428 (WhatsApp).
It is not easy to find the best cruise among over 80 cruises in Halong Bay. Below are 4 small tips for you:
- Decide itinerary & cruise route: The central (classic route), Lan Ha Bay (new trendy route), Cat Ba Island (combined trip to stay on the island), or Bai Tu Long Bay (less touristy route)
- Estimate your budget: Different types of cruises from budget (from US$ 120 per person/night), mid-range (from US$ 135 per person/night) to luxury (from US$ 165 per person/night)
- Check which cruise meets your needs: For a family with kids, private charter, couples, honeymoon, seniors, solo travelers, etc.
- Choose a reputable agent: Engage with a local agency that has many years of experience in Halong Bay cruises and transparent policy
It takes around 2.5 - 3 hours (including break time) to transfer from Hanoi Old Quarter to Halong Bay by limousine bus or car. For those who transfer from Hanoi airport, it takes about 3 hours of driving to Halong Bay.
The slowest way is by train (7 hours), while the fastest way is by seaplane (45 minutes).
For further information, let’s check 6 Best Ways to Travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay
All cruises in Halong Bay must have permission from the Management Board to stay overnight in the Bay. Based on the weather conditions (high winds, monsoon, thunderstorm, cyclone, storm...), the Management Board has the authority to cancel all cruises on a certain day to guarantee the safety of tourists.
In those cases, the following policies will be applied for the cruise:
- If the cancellation is informed before you leave Hanoi (you have not used any service yet): 100% refund
- If the cancellation is informed during the trip (you have already used some services: transfer, lunch, day trip, hotel,...): Only the fee of these services will be charged and we will refund the whole remaining amount
- If the trip is cut down from 3 days/2 nights to 2 days/1 night, we will charge as 2 days/1 night trip, plus other services you have already used, and refund the remaining amount
- The cancellation is announced ONLY by the Management Board and often on short notice of time. Therefore your understanding of these situations is highly appreciated.
- The period from May to July is considered stormy weather in Halong Bay with many unpredictable weather conditions. Hence more cruises will be canceled on short notice during this season.
- In all cases, please contact our consultants directly for any urgent help. We are here to support you with all of our best!
There are 2 main ports where most cruises depart from: Tuan Chau Port and Halong International Port. Additionally, some cruises may leave from Vinashin Port (Hon Gai), Cai Lan and other ports around Halong City and Hai Phong (50 km).
Tuan Chau Port
Halong International Port
Ngoc Chau, Tuan Chau Island
No. 9 Halong Road, Bai Chay Ward
How to get to
From Van Don Airport: 1.2 hours by car
From Cat Bi Airport: 45 minutes by car
From Hanoi: 2.5 hours by limousine/ car
From Van Don Airport: 1 hour by car
From Cat Bi Aiport: 50 minutes by car
From Hanoi: 2.5 hours by limousine/ car
Mon Cheri, Paradise Elegance, Hermes, Sena, Capella Cruise, see more
Scarlet Pearl, Swan, Athena Luxury, Renea, Signature Cruise, see more
Halong Bay overnight cruise usually returns to the port at 11:00 - 11:30 on the last day of the itinerary. You will get to your hotel in Hanoi by 15:30 - 16:00 in the afternoon.
For the day cruise trip, the disembarkation time is around 16:00 - 17:00 and the drop-off time in Hanoi is approximately 20:00.
Note: If you want to book a flight on the same day, choose a domestic flight after 17:00 and an international flight after 18:00.
Yes, you are allowed to swim in some areas of the bay, specifically:
- Halong Bay: You can only swim in Titop Island, where most Halong overnight cruises pass by on the first day of the itinerary.
- Lan Ha Bay: You are freely swum by the overnight anchor point around Ao Ech and Tra Bau Area.
- Bai Tu Long Bay: Unlucky, swimming is restricted in this area for safety reasons.
Note: Please wear a life jacket if needed and don’t go swimming alone!
Based on 4141 customer's reviews
Questions & Answers (308)
Greetings! My friend and I are keen on embarking on a cruise adventure on Halong Bay come March 2024. We are inclined towards a leisurely schedule and aren't enthusiastic about outdoor pursuits. We are interested in learning about cruise options that provide cabins featuring private terraces and individual dining spaces. Your suggestions would be invaluable. Thank you!
If you prefer a private terrace let's do the Era, Mon Cheri Cruise.
Due to my 94-year-old mother's illness, I am unsure if we can travel at the moment. I would like to make a reservation for 2 people for the 2D/1N cruise on Thursday, November 16th. Until when can I potentially cancel if our trip cannot proceed? Can pick-up service at the Cosy Inn Hotel in Hanoi be arranged, and is this service included in the package?
We offer free cancelation 21 days before the start date. Your hotel in Old Quarter so we can arrange the pickup time
Hello We are coming to Halong Bay by the Celebrity Solstice cruise ship. We don't arrive in port until 11:30 am on February 17,2024 and have to be back at the boat no later than 6:00 PM on February 18. Is there an overnight excursion that can accommodate these times?
Yes you can go to Cruise on Sun International like Dragon Pearl Cruise, Dragon Legend Cruise will be back next day at port at 11:45 am
Hi we (couple)are from India Bangalore, will be on Vietnam tour from 5th nov 20th November, planning to take halong bay cruise tour for 1 night 2 days on 16th November, we will be traveling from Sapa to Bai chay Bus station on 16th early morning 2 AM, please suggest me 1) which is the better location/ hotel to stay for the night, 2. Will the cruise company will pick up from hotel 3. Which cruise company is better, 3. Which route is better 4. We prefer vegetarian food, thanks. Manjunath
1. You can have a look at Hermes Cruise will very suitable with your request
2. Bus from company just pick up from Hanoi to Halong Bay and if you go from Bai Chay you will need a taxi
3. You can choose Hermes Cruise will suitable with your request
4. Each route will have its beauty
5. You can noted with the cruise before the trip start
I'm intested in 2d1n cruise on 20th Dec. Which would you recommend for a 60 year old couple that doesn’t eat seafood and won’t go kayaking. Would like to take a bamboo boat to see caves etc but not kayak self