Cambodia opens for foreign visitors in November, 2022
In an effort to quickly re-open the country to welcome international tourists, Cambodia decides to allow all fully-vaccinated visitors to be exempted from quarantine when visiting the country and can explore anywhere they want in the country.
- 15th Nov 2021 Update: Quarantine-free entry for fully-vaccinated tourists
- When and how does Cambodia open for foreign visitors for post-COVID travel?
15th Nov 2021 Update: Quarantine-free entry for fully-vaccinated tourists
On November 14th, the Cambodian government announced the new entry policy which takes effect from 15th November 2021, applicable to people moving into Cambodia via air, water, and land.
According to that, Cambodians and foreigners who have been fully vaccinated are no longer required to be quarantined upon arrival in the country if they test negative for Covid-19.
It is said that the decision to exempt people who have received the Covid-19 vaccine is in order to reopen the country to investors and tourists, as well as create favorable conditions for Cambodians abroad to return.
Fully vaccinated people when entering Cambodia only need to have a negative nCoV test result within 72 hours before departure and a quick test when they arrive in the country, instead of waiting to do a PCR test. However, those who have not been fully vaccinated are still required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Cambodia.
When and how does Cambodia open for foreign visitors for post-COVID travel?
On 27th October 2021, Cambodia announced to apply for the “Sandbox” program in Sihanoukville and Koh Rong - the stunning coastal provinces of this country. This is great news for international travelers as Cambodia has been closed to foreign visitors for nearly 2 years. Although this program is similar to the “Phuket Sandbox” in Thailand, it is still considered to be much more attractive due to the shorter length of stay in “Sandbox” destination (Sihanoukville and Koh Rong), which is only 5 days and after that, you can get to anywhere you want in Cambodia.
The “Sandbox” program will be activated on 30th November 2021. Due to the program’s rules, you will have to stay at least 5 days in Sihanoukville, Koh Rong Island, or Koh Rong Dara Sakor Resort. No hotel quarantine is required, you are free to travel around in the “Sandbox” destination. In addition, the Cambodian Government is considering opening this program to tourists who are exempted from quarantine in Thailand which helps more foreign tourists enter the country easier.
Requirements for foreign visitors to join Cambodia’s “Sandbox” program
- Only apply for groups of fully vaccinated tourists through full package tours and family/small groups of high-end tourists who are fully vaccinated.
- Air travel on direct flights to Sihanoukville International Airport (transit flights are not allowed).
- Fully vaccinated.
- Get a negative result for the RT-PCR COVID-19 test at Sihanoukville airport on arrival.
Travel document requirements for entering Cambodia due to Sandbox Program
- A booking or contract to prove you come with a full-package group tours
- A certificate to prove you are fully vaccinated at least 14 days before your trip
- An invoice or booking to show the pre-paid accommodation at approved “Sandbox” destination for 5 days of stay
- A certificate with a negative result of the RT-PCR COVID-19 test issued no more than 72 hours before your flight
- Your flight number and tickets
- A history of your traveling in 14 days before entering Cambodia
When will Siem Reap be open for foreign visitors?
According to the announcement of the Cambodian Government, the hot spot for international tourists - Siem Reap will be opened as a “Sandbox” destination on 1/2022 and the final decision will be made due to the result of the “Sandbox” program applied for Sihanoukville and Koh Rong.
If you want to come to Siem Reap sooner, you will have to visit Cambodia through the Sihanoukville and Koh Rong “Sandbox” and wait there 5 days before you can get to Siem Reap.
Since April 2020, Cambodia has been closing its borders to control the influence of the COVID-19 outbreak inside the country which causes negative impacts on the country's tourism. After the success of the domestic vaccination campaign, the Cambodian Government and residents believe that ít's the time they can open their countries widely for everyone who was full-vaccinated and Cambodia can become a hot spot of post-COVID travel for international visitors.
Check out and book Cambodia package tours with BestPrice Team!
Image source: Internet