Bangkok Weather in January: Climate & Things to Do
Bangkok is a popular destination with something to offer for every tourist — regardless of what you are looking for — from shopping, religious sites to exploring local foods. To ensure you get the best out of your vacation, read up on weather conditions to plan accordingly in your travel itinerary. Here is everything you need to know about Bangkok weather in January, the first month of the year.
Characteristics of Bangkok weather in January
January is one of Bangkok's most pleasant months. It is among the time when tourist footfall is the highest of the year. Day temperatures in Bangkok in January range from 25 to 32 degrees Celsius with an average of 27 degrees, making it perfect for outdoor activities like visiting religious temples and going on a boat trip. At night, the temperature can drop to 22 degrees, and a light jacket is recommended. There is very little rainfall in January, with only about 1 to 2 rainy days a month.
In the first month of the year, the sun shines for an average of nine hours per day, making it the sunniest month. There are around 272.8 monthly sunlight hours in Bangkok in January.
In Bangkok, it is slightly less humid during this time of the year, but considerably higher than in other countries, at 68%.
At 26.7 degrees sea temperature, January is the coldest month for swimming in Bangkok.
What to expect in Bangkok in January
One of the most visited cities in Asia and the world, Bangkok certainly can satisfy a large number of tourists. Bangkok in January welcomes a large influx of tourists and is also the month for one of the most important festivals — Lunar New Year. Therefore, it is a great time to go shopping for souvenirs, gifts, and clothes, as well as hit the downtown streets to enjoy the bustling atmosphere. There are plenty of attraction spots around the city, and the Bangkok climate in January perfectly allows a day trip.
Those searching for a variety of sightseeing options, from pagodas with a religious background to newly renovated tourist sites, will be pleasantly satisfied with what the city has to offer.
- New Year Festival — January 1st
You might want to spend New Year's Eve with Bangkok locals amid the lively atmosphere of Thailand's capital city in January. It is the perfect time for firework shows and exciting parties, as there is a strong Western influence in the festivities. Some foreign tourists look to spend New Year abroad for the cultural experience, and Bangkok is an excellent choice. If Chinese New Year falls in late January, hit Chinatown for some unique sights never seen before, like costume dances and brightly-lit lanterns.
- Tuk-tuk Tour
Tuk-tuk tours provide a great introduction to Bangkok for first-time travelers. There are a variety of tours available online. With nice Bangkok weather in January, you will have no trouble getting around the city with this means of transportation.
Check out our street food and Tuk Tuk tour: Combining sightseeing and trying out local food makes a win-win situation.
Every major city has its own Chinatown, and Bangkok's Chinatown is among the biggest in the world. The mix of Thai and Chinese cultures make this part of town unique and vibrant, especially for those who love exploring on foot, capturing street photographs, and trying out authentic Asian food. The choices of entertainment venues and places to eat are endless, with reasonable prices. Aside from the busy streets and bright neon lights, the secluded Taoist temples like Wat Traimit and Wat Mangkon Kamalawat are also worth a visit, which will provide a peaceful oasis amid the loud atmosphere at Chinatown.
What's a trip to one of the biggest cities in Asia without some shopping? Home to many shopping malls at different price ranges, you can find just anything here. There are many big names and malls right next to each other. For those who are looking to shop for more reasonably-priced products, there are also street markets that you can spend an entire evening exploring.
From skincare products, trendy clothes to authentic home goods, we guarantee that you cannot leave Bangkok without a new shopping bag! A lot of travelers to Bangkok in January indeed take this opportunity to go shopping for souvenirs and New Year gifts to bring home.
You might be interested in Top 10 places to go shopping in Bangkok.
Travel tips for Bangkok weather January
- Keep in mind that Bangkok weather in January is ideal and pleasant, which makes it a popular month for traveling. It will be nearly impossible to avoid tourist crowds at most attraction spots. Therefore, it is crucial to book your flights and accommodation at least a month in advance during this time of the year.
- Packing smart is the key to a comfortable and hassle-free trip. Bangkok and Thailand as a whole are highly religious, so definitely opt for modest clothes that adequately cover your body and bring a long scarf for temple visits to pay respect to the sites and locals. Even though Bangkok weather in January is not cold, shorts and tank tops are not appropriate for the city.
- It is recommended to pack lightweight cotton clothing to deal with the humidity. We advise you to bring some sun-protected clothing and accessories as well due to excessive sun exposure during the day.
- At night, if you are opting for a touristic spot for dinner and drinks, you can wear something more casual.
- Exploring Bangkok on foot is a popular choice for visitors, so make sure you pack comfortable walking shoes.
You have just reviewed all the needed information about Bangkok in January, if you are planning to travel during this time please don't hesitate to book our Bangkok Tours.
Image source: Internet