Bun Rieu (Rice Noodles in Tomato Broth)
During hot summer days in Vietnam, you do not know what to eat to cool down, do you? Enjoy Bun Rieu now, it will not let you down.
If you come to Vietnam in the summer, the heat might make you feel uncomfortable don't want to do anything or eat anything. You can even stay in your room all day, drink beer or soft drinks. If I were you, I would try "Bun Rieu". It is a unique dish with a slightly sour taste that Vietnamese people love in the summer. Find out about Bun Rieu with us right now.
Bun Rieu is a unique dish with a slightly sour taste
Overview of Bun Rieu
Bun Rieu is a traditional dish of Vietnam, which is well known for both domestically and internationally. Vietnam has so many kinds of Bun Rieu: Bun Rieu Cua, Bun Rieu Bo(beef), Bun Rieu Oc(snail) and Bun Rieu Ca(fish). The most outstanding is the Bun Rieu Cua(crab). Because of its fresh taste, Bun Rieu becomes one of the most favorite dishes in summer that you can enjoy anywhere in Vietnam.
Bun Rieu is a traditional dish of Vietnam
Ingredients of Bun Rieu
To cook Bun Rieu, we need to prepare the following ingredients:
- Field crab (or fish, snail, pork)
- Rice vermicelli
- Ground pork/beef
- Vinegar, star-fruits
- Shrimp paste, red onion, green onion, coriander
- Vegetables: banana flower, lettuce, marjoram, basil
- Pepper, seasoning, fish sauce, sugar, cooking oil
This dish includes rice vermicelli and "Rieu". "Rieu" is a slightly sour soup made from filtered crabs (or fish, meat, snails), tomatoes, fried pork rind, vinegar, fish sauce, salt, and onions.
Bun Rieu is a favorite dish in the summer
Bun Rieu is the best when it's served hot with fried tofu, a little shrimp paste, lemon, garlic, chutney, and herbs such as lettuce, water spinach, cilantro, and fresh mung bean sprouts. You will feel the greasy and sour taste from these simple ingredients.
Bun Rieu is everywhere in Vietnam. But it depends on each region that changes Bun Rieu to suit the taste of that region. Bun Rieu above is the traditional Bun Rieu of the North but in the South, it will have many other ingredients such as snails, pig's blood, tamarind, and chili satay.
Bun Rieu is everywhere in Vietnam
Where to eat the best Bun Rieu in Vietnam?
- 52 Hang Bun Street, Ba Dinh District, and 18 Hang Khoai Street, Hoan Kiem District (Price: $0.86 - $1.72)
- Bun Rieu Co Lua: 15A Tran Cao Van Street, Hai Ba Trung District (Price: $1.08 - $1.72)
- Bun Rieu Co Huyen: 41 Quang Trung Street, Hoan Kiem District (Price: $1.29 - $2.58)
Bun Rieu in Hanoi
In Ho Chi Minh city
- Bun Rieu Ben Thanh Market: 16 - 18 Phan Boi Chau, Ben Thanh, District 1 (Price: $1.51 - $2.15)
- Octopus Rieu Bun: 22 Lo F, Nguyen Thi Tan Street, District 8 (Price: $1.29 - $2.15)
- Bun Rieu Ong Tien: 96 Phan Dinh Phung, Phu Nhuan District (Price: $1.08 - $1.72)
Bun Rieu in Ho Chi Minh city
Bun Rieu is one of the long-standing traditional dishes of Vietnam. It is not only good for your health but it also keeps your body fresh. Bun Rieu is full of flavors and colors with many different ingredients. Anyone who has eaten this dish will never forget it. Let's try Bun Rieu if you come to Vietnam.
Image source: Internet