Nem cuon, Goi cuon (Spring Roll)
There is no denying that Vietnam is famous for its traditional and delicious dishes. And one of the most famous Vietnamese food is spring rolls (Nem cuon/ Goi cuon). This dish is very good for health. Therefore, it is a smart choice for you when you eat too much fried or grilled food in Vietnam.
Northern people often call it Nem ran while Southern people often call it Cha gio. The following article will introduce you to Vietnam spring rolls - a specialty in Vietnam
History of Nem cuon/Goi cuon
It is thought that the spring rolls originated in eastern China during the Jin Dynasty from 266 to 420 AD. When spring is about to end and farmers can harvest fresh vegetables, they will celebrate by making a pancake and wrapping it with the freshest vegetables of that season.
There is no denying that Vietnamese spring rolls (Nem cuon/ Goi cuon) is a fairly popular dish in Vietnam. It is made of ingredients including sausages, eggs, carrots, lettuce, kohlrabi, dried shrimp, vegetables, etc. Chinese spring rolls are fried and crispy while Vietnamese spring rolls are not cooked and served fresh. Vietnamese rolls are great as more and more people need lighter, healthier meals. Typically, Vietnam spring rolls are filled with shrimp, vegetables, herbs and rice noodles and you will sometimes find cooked pork in it.
There is almost no fixed recipe for spring rolls because depending on the locality the recipe will be different. In fact, spring roll is known as an appetizer at many restaurants in Vietnam.
There is no denying that making Vietnamese spring rolls spring rolls is easy and you hardly take more than 30 minutes to complete them.
Vietnamese spring roll
Ingredients of Spring Rolls
The most popular ingredients to make this dish include: Here are some key ingredients to making the most popular spring rolls.
- Meat, seafood: this is the main raw ingredient, it can include beef, pork, duck, shrimp, fish of all kinds, crab, silk rolls, spring rolls, eggs, etc.
- Rice paper: You should use rice papers of Three Ladies Brand because they tend to last better and are less likely to tear
- Aromatic herbs, assorted raw vegetables, cucumbers, pineapples, cassava tubers, mushrooms, green bananas, etc.
- Rice vermicelli: However, some nem cuon may not use rice vermicelli.
- Sauces, fish sauce are prepared depending on the user.
Nem cuon (Spring roll)
Some good places to enjoy spring rolls
1. Danang Restaurant
- Address: 79 Trung Hoa, Cau Giay, Hanoi
- Hotline: 094 526 16 08
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/banh.trang.cuon.thit.heo/posts/
- Opening hours: 10:30 am - 09:00 pm
2. Gach Restaurant
- Address: 6C Alley 21 Pham Ngoc Thach, Dong Da District, Hanoi
- Hotline: 098 611 37 98
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Gachquanbanhtrang/
- Opening hours: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm.
3. Dang Van Quyen Restaurant
- Facility 1: 16A Lân Ong, Xương Huân, Nha Trang
- Facility 2: 2-4 Phan Bội Châu, Nha Trang.
- Opening time: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm.
4. Viet Spring Rolls.
- Address: 65A Bat Dan, Cua Dong, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi 008404
- Opening time: 8.00 am- 10.00 pm.
- Phone: 098 510 51 65
Goi cuon (Vietnamese spring roll)
All in all, Vietnam spring roll is such a superb dishes that you should try once in your life.
(Image source: Internet)