Hue to Hoi An by Motorbike: All You Need to Know
Hai Van Pass is seen by many as the most scenic coastal route in the world. It became famous after the special episode of 'Top Gear' raced through Vietnam on basic bikes. Since then, this famous route has become very popular among travellers riding by motorbike. So read on and find out more tips and information to travel from Hue to Hoi An by motorbike via this beautiful mountain pass.
Motorbikes are a common mode of transportation in Vietnam and local people love riding them. This type of vehicle is quite useful in everyday life as well as in travelling. Travelling from Hue to Hoi An by motorbike does not only gives you flexibility but also offers you one of the most stunning views of the Vietnam coastline.
View from top of Hai Van Pass
Why should you travel by motorbike?
Travelling on a motorbike gives you the freedom that none of the other transportations can offer you. You can absolutely proactive about your time, schedule and itinerary regardless of the group, such as taking a bus or following a tour. You can stop in any place and at any time, for a break, eating some snacks, or just enjoy some breathtaking view. You will not worry about missing anything since you have the ability to pull over whenever you see something that interests you. This is also a wonderful opportunity to take some fantastic landscape photos, especially when you pass by Lang Co Bay or get to Hai Van Pass.
Besides, the cost of a motorcycle trip is also cheaper than other forms, suitable for people of all ages who love to explore. Riding a motorbike can make you easily connecting with nature. You can feel the wind, the rain, the sun, and see the birds flying around you. If you travel by bus, car or train you are missing these feelings for sure. Driving the motorbike through hairpin curves in unfamiliar territory released the adrenaline rushes which adventure lovers are looking for. Not to mention, motorbikes can go where buses and cars cannot, which are down the narrow dirt roads and through the stunning villages.
Getting from Hue to Hoi An by motorbike
There are numerous companies that offer motorbike rental from Hue to Hoi An and transfer your luggage to your accommodations for a small fee. MotorVina, Style Motorbikes, and Flamingo Travel all have offices in Hue and Hoi An, they do offer one-way rentals so it is very convenient for you. Other companies with only one office in one location may still offer one-way rentals, albeit at a greater cost.
Hue to Hoi An with one-way motorbike rental
A 110 cc to 125 cc motorcycle will be more than adequate for travelling the country. Because speed restrictions in Vietnam are low – 25mi/h (40km/h) for cities, 37mi/h (60km/h) for highways – having a powerful motorcycle can frequently be a detriment in congested places. You can travel the country in an automatic, semi-automatic, or manual vehicle, so choose what works best for your needs. Even though the road is pretty curvy and there will be some ascending and descending, you don't have to rent a very powerful bike.
Recommended Hue to Hoi An Itinerary
You can follow Google Maps if you are sel-drive from Hue to Hoi An, or you can have a professional guide traveling along with you which also a good thing because they can take you to be closer to rural villages on the way.
The most common itinerary for travelling from Hue to Hoi An is starting at your hotel in Hue city centre, along the way to the first stop is Elephant Springs where has a big rock that looks like Elephant and you can actually swimming in the cool natural pool. Then stop to visit Lang Co Bay to savor the fresh breeze and take a lot of stunning photos.
The stunning view of Lang Co Bay
Continue to the next stop in Lap An lagoon and immerse in the beauty of the fishing village before riding to Hai Van Pass. When you pass through Hai Van Pass, prepare to be enthralled by the view of lagoons, fishing net, mountain, and other natural wonders. When crossing the top of the Hai Van Pass, you are surrounded by clouds on one side, with stunning ocean views on the other, so local people call it Hai Van pass.
After that, you will reach Danang city, where you can enjoy swimming or relax at My Khe Beach then move on to visit the stone-making village - see women make statues by hand. And then, climb the majestic Marble Mountains and finally arrive in Hoi An before sundown.
Tips for travel from Hue to Hoi An by motorbike
- In case you planning to rent a motorbike to travel from Hue to Hoi An, make sure to check all the engines and parts of the motorbike to see if they are all in good condition such as headlights, taillight, signals, tires…. Also, you can go for a test ride and test the following: brakes, horn or clutch, if you take the manual bike.
- Follow the local traffic laws and rules on the road while self-drive from Hue to Hoi An in particular. Wear a helmet, don’t run faster than the speed limit, go on the right lane, signal well in advance of any direction changes, watch out for any turning vehicle, etc…
- The weather will have a profound impact on your overall experience when you’re exploring on a motorbike so it is highly recommended to check the weather before you head off and prepare accordingly. The temperature and weather are slightly different in these two cities due to the Hai Van Pass crossed between.
- Central Vietnam receives a high level of sunlight throughout the year. Especially when you drive a motorbike from Hue to Hoi An, you will expose to the sun more and for a long time so it is essentials to bring along some sun protection such as sunscreen, sunglasses, sun care, etc…
- Wear bright clothes or some reflective neon jacket so other riders can see you
- Ideally to depart from Hue in the early morning then you can have more time to take several breaks for photos, explore small villages as well as deal with unexpected delays, and most importantly you can get to Hoi An before the sun goes down.
In summary, travelling from Hue to Hoi An is the most fantastic option to choose, especially for travellers who would like to experience a state of excitement in the most local way. These guides are completely coming in handy when you travelling to the regions. Visit BestPrice and join our Hue tours along with Hoi An tours to get the most memorable journey in your life.
Image Source: Internet
Questions & Answers (1)
Good evening, We are two senior men travelling to hue in late January,we would like to rent two motorcycles for perhaps 2 days ,days I have a full English licence but my friend has only a provisional licence riding many years ago,do you foresee this as a problem or will it be ok to rent Many thanks Dave pring
Hi! Normally, a provisional licence isn't allowed here. However, you should contact the motorbike rental company in advance before your trip so they may consult you with more information.