Things to Know before Applying for Myanmar Tourist Visa
For those who are planning to visit Myanmar, it is allowable for many countries to apply for a Myanmar visa, except for several exemption countries. Check this article out to get all the essential things to know before applying for Myanmar Tourist Visa.
- Myanmar Visa for Tourists
- Myanmar Visa on Arrival
- Myanmar e-Visa
- Overstaying Visa in Myanmar
- Myanmar Tourist Visa Fee
Like other Southeast Asian countries, the Myanmar government requires most foreign nationalities to have a Myanmar Visa before entering the country. As a foreign tourist, you can apply for Myanmar Visa via three different types: e-Visa, Visa at Embassy/ Consulate, and Visa on Arrival. Nowadays, most travelers choose to get a Myanmar Visa either online or on arrival, which makes the visa application process easier.
If you are eligible for a Myanmar Visa, you should take notice of the following information about things to know before your trip to Myanmar.
Myanmar Visa for Tourists
Myanmar Visa is valid for a single entry in three months from the date of issue. It allows tourists to stay within 28 – 30 days, depending on different types of visas. Be aware that if you overstay your Myanmar Visa, you might encounter some trouble with the immigration laws in the country. It is advisable to apply for your Myanmar Visa before your trip 2 weeks in advance. This is the most appropriate time to carry out the process of the Myanmar visa application, even the e-Visa application takes a few days in the standard.
Myanmar Visa for tourists
Myanmar Visa Exemption Countries
Passport holders from these following countries do not require a visa to enter Myanmar for tourism visits.
- 28 days (Citizens from these countries may enter by and depart from any ports of entry)
1. Hong Kong (For tourism only)
2. Japan (For tourism only)
3. Macao (For tourism only)
4. South Korea (For tourism only)
- 14 days (Citizens from these countries must enter by and depart from Yangon International Airport, Nay Pyi Taw International Airport, or Mandalay International Airport to be granted visa-free entry)
7. Thailand (For air arrivals only)
Myanmar Visa on Arrival
Myanmar Visa on Arrival (VOA) is issued for only tourism and business purposes, including the reason for attending a seminar or conference, as well as for transit. For tourism, Myanmar Visa on Arrival is valid for 30 days of staying from the exact date of entry, while it is only valid for 24 hours after your transit. As a tourist, you cannot extend your Myanmar Visa on Arrival, since there is only an exception for business purposes.
Myanmar Visa on Arrival Countries
For tourism purposes, only citizens from certain countries can apply for a Visa on Arrival to Myanmar. If you have an ordinary passport issued by one of the following countries, you will be eligible to get a Myanmar Visa on Arrival.
4. Czech Republic
10. New Zealand
Myanmar Arrival Visa Entry Points
There are only three points of entry where you can get a Myanmar Visa on Arrival, as below:
- Yangon International Airport
- Mandalay International Airport
- Nay Pyi Taw International Airport
Visa on Arrival counter at Yangon International Airport
Myanmar Visa on Arrival Requirements
To obtain a Myanmar Visa on Arrival, applicants have to submit these following essentials:
- A passport valid for a minimum of six months from the date of entry into Cambodia (at least one blank page for entry stamp)
- Two passport-size photographs in the last 3 months (light background, no glasses, and no facial expression)
- A completed visa application form filled out and signed by the applicant
- Cash to pay for visa fees and additional costs (recommended in US Dollars)
- Status of stay (accommodation bookings or reservations, confirmation from tour operator with details of payment, etc.)
How to get a Myanmar Visa on Arrival
At first, you have to complete a Myanmar Visa on Arrival application form which can be delivered on the airplane or at the Immigration Office at arrival counters at the airports. After finishing, you need to present the application form along with other required documents.
Then, you should wait for a review of the immigration officials to approve your visa application. If your application for Myanmar Visa on Arrival meets the standards, you should pay the fee in cash to submit.
On September 1st, 2014, Myanmar officially launched an e-Visa for tourism and business purposes only. With the validity for 90 days from the date of issue, Myanmar e-Visa allows a maximum stay of 28 days (for tourists) and 70 days (for business travelers with an invitation)
Myanmar e-Visa Countries
Here is the list of 100 countries that are eligible to get a Myanmar e-Visa.
1. All European Union citizens2
10. Bosnia and Herzegovina
19. Costa Rica
20. Côte d’Ivoire
29. Hong Kong2
38. North Korea2
51. New Zealand2
59. Saudi Arabia
61. South Africa2
62. Sri Lanka
69. United Kingdom#
70. United States2
1 - Countries eligible for business/tourist e-visa along with visa-free or visa on arrival privilege.
2 - Countries eligible for business/tourist e-visa.
# - British citizens are eligible for business/tourist e-visa. All other classes of British nationality are eligible for tourist e-visa only.
No mark - Countries eligible for tourist e-visa only.
Map of eligible countries to apply for a Myanmar Tourist Visa
Myanmar e-Visa Entry Points
Currently, Myanmar e-Visa can be obtainable at 3 main international airports and 5 land border checkpoints. You must enter one of the following ports of entry in Myanmar.
- Yangon International Airport
- Nay Pyi Taw International Airport
- Mandalay International Airport
- Kawthaung Land Border Checkpoint (with Thailand)
- Myawaddy Land Border Checkpoint (with Thailand)
- Tachileik Land Border Checkpoint (with Thailand)
- Rihkhawdar Land Border Checkpoint (with India)
- Tamu Land Border Checkpoint (with India)
Myanmar e-Visa Requirements
You need to provide the following documents to request your Myanmar e-Visa for tourism purposes:
- A copy of your passport details scan, including cover page, biodata page, and last page (if applicable) with a condition that your passport must be valid at least 6 months from the date of arrival
- A recent passport-style photograph in digital format (JPEG or PNG form)
- A scan of your return flight ticket (valid for 90 days)
- Proof of accommodation (hotel reservation, the letter from your host in Myanmar, etc.)
- A valid email address to be sent the information and visa approval
- A valid credit/ debit card, a PayPal account, or other accepted payment methods
- An online application form for Myanmar e-Visa (including a series of security questions and personal information)
How to get a Myanmar e-Visa
Within only a few minutes, you can complete the whole process of Myanmar e-Visa application by the following step-by-step method:
Myanmar e-Visa application process
- Step 1: Fill out the e-Visa application form uploaded on the official website of the government visa processing center. You need to provide your personal information, passport details, and even the most suitable processing time (if you apply via travel agent).
- Step 2: Move to the payment method using PayPal or a valid credit/ debit card.
- Step 3: Double-check all the information and submit your application along with other prepared documents. Following that, you should read carefully and accept the terms and agreement of the Myanmar e-Visa policy.
- Step 4: Kindly check your application form in your email inbox. Don’t forget to print your Myanmar e-Visa and save a QR code that you’ll need to show to the immigration officials once you get to the entry points.
The approval letter of the Myanmar government for Tourist e-Visa
Advantages of Myanmar e-Visa
- Steady and convenient e-Visa process
- Super time-saving instead of visiting the Myanmar embassy in your home country as well as waiting for the long queues on arrival at the airport
- Security of payment method and personal information
Myanmar e-Visa Extension
Currently, it is impossible to extend a Myanmar Tourist Visa online. If you want to stay in Myanmar longer than 28 days on a vacation, you should contact the embassy/ consulate or the Myanmar immigration office at Naypyitaw. Or else, you can leave Myanmar and apply for another e-Visa since Myanmar Tourist Visa is single-entry only.
Plenty of embassies and consulates are concentrated in Yangon capital of Myanmar. Specifically, there are 41 embassies in Yangon in total, along with 14 consulates and 2 representations in Myanmar.
Case of a minor
- Children over 7 years old or those who already have an individual passport must have a separated e-Visa to Myanmar.
- Children under 7 years old do not need an individual e-Visa to Myanmar if they meet the following requirements:
- The child must be accompanied by the parent/guardian.
- The child must be included in the parent/guardian’s passport.
- The details of the child must be included in the parent/guardian’s e-Visa.
Notes: A birth certificate is required to submit if the applicant is under 15 years old.
Overstaying Visa in Myanmar
While Myanmar Tourist Visa is non-extendable, many tourists overstay their visa for more few days. It is not recommended as you can risk the following repercussions:
- Fines: You will be fined 3 USD for each day overstayed your Myanmar Visa, and 5 USD per day after 90 days of overstaying. You have to pay the accumulated fine at the airports/ border crossings upon your departure to the home country.
- Accommodation: You are unlikely accepted to stay at guesthouse/ hotels in Myanmar due to the expired date of your visa.
- Flight: Similar to the accommodation issue, you cannot be possible to travel around Myanmar by air with an expired visa.
- Returning to Myanmar: Overstaying your visa in Myanmar can lead to the result of being banned from re-entering the country in the future.
Don't overstay your Myanmar Visa
Myanmar Tourist Visa Fee
Myanmar Visa on Arrival Fee
The fee for Myanmar Visa on Arrival varies depending on the purpose of your trip as below:
- Myanmar Tourist Visa on Arrival: 50 USD
- Myanmar Transit Visa on Arrival: 20 USD
Myanmar e-Visa Fee
- A single-entry Myanmar tourist e-Visa typically costs around 50 USD, depending on which passports you are holding. The additional cost may vary due to the length of the processing time.
All things considered, you should double-check all information about Myanmar Tourist Visa with the official source before your application. If you have any concerns about the Myanmar visa application, please contact us or visit our website https://www.bestpricetravel.com/ for instant support.
Note: The information can be updated from time to time. Check carefully before applying to get a Myanmar visa for your vacation.
You may also like Myanmar Reopens For Tourists [Updated on 16 October 2022]
(Image source: Internet)
Questions & Answers (1)
Planning to visit Yangon in the month of January 2023 and want to know that is it safe to travel and is there Myanmar International Airways flights operating from New Delhi and should i get my Visa before my arrival from New Delhi.
Hi! It's safe to visit Yangon in 2023 and there are flights from Delhi to Yangon by Myanmar Airways and also Air India. If you own India Passport, you must get your Visa before your trip to Myanmar.