Top Thrilling Places For Adventure Travelers In Cambodia
Referring to Cambodia, you may dream of strange adventures: the glittering towers, orange robes, matrix of ancient towers where some wild elephants slowly walked. Cambodia's beauty also comes from the rolling hills, clear waterfalls and winding rivers. Cambodia likes a sacred place hidden behind forests.
1. Kirirom National Park
Located on a 700-meter hill, this park used to be a favorite resort of King Sihanouk. It also explains the name “Kirirom”, in Khmer meaning "mountain of joy". During the journey to Kirirom, you will have a challenging but interesting adventure. Besides walking in the forest, you will have to climb some cliffs to explore the mysterious bat cave. You can also see the giant stone fireplace that belongs to the king. In addition, there are many old ruins in the abandoned town such as the ancient villa with bullets on the walls or old shrines.
Kirirom National Park
Tourists will be guided to the Chambok eco-tourism site, which is part of the national park. During the 4 km long walking, you will be able to enjoy the diversity of the biodiversity here with a pine forest, Cardamom mountain, and many animal species that you may be lucky to encounter in the journey like pangolins, elephants, etc.
You will be amazed at the majestic beauty of the Chambok waterfall between the wild forest. The waterfall has 3 different flows and the water here is very clear and cool. If you want to enjoy the quiet space of Kirirom, you should go early in the morning when there are not too crowded.
The area of Kirirom National Park in Sihanoukville is not too large, so it takes only 1 day. The best time to visit this park is on or after the rainy season because during this time, the weather in the area is quite cool and pleasant and the waterfall will be filled up with large amounts of water.
The ticket fee is not too expensive, only about 3 USD / adult. When visiting, tourists often go in a group. In each group, there will be a professionally trained tour guide to introduce places and guide the tour group to avoid getting lost.
2. Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum is a museum of Khmer Rouge genocide during the reign from 1975 to 1979. This was a high school before becoming a concentration prison of the Khmer Rouge genocide regime. In 1975, the school was converted into a prison called S21 Security Prison.
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
During the four years of Khmer Rouge rule, it held about 17,000 people (another source said that this number was 20,000), there are mostly members or previous soldiers of the Khmer Rouge convicted of treason. The school had been converted such as: building more electric fences, reinforcing rooms into prisons, and adding more interrogation and torture rooms.
As soon as stepping inside, and passing through the museum gate, the horrid feeling will come: there were 14 graves placed near the entrance in the cement yard, all of them were square, the same low and especially no tombstone. Photos of their deaths were also kept inside the torture rooms, where you can see dark bloodstains on the floor and walls.
Today, many pictures and vivid paintings of that time are displayed: the image of an iron chair, prisoners being brutally beaten, fields of death filled by Khmer Rouge, describing the scene of the prisoners being tortured. In some cells, they also placed wooden cabinets full of skulls with the caption: "These are the bones of victims who were killed by Khmer Rouge ".
The savage crimes of the Khmer Rouge remained in the torture rooms until today. There are 14 torture rooms, with only a single iron bed, and a torture box. Victims who came to this room were barbarian tortured until death. With many pictures and artifacts, Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum has attracted many visitors from all over the world. However, visitors are still afraid of the museum because the atmosphere of the museum makes them too scary.
Let's get the best deals on Phnom Penh tours in Cambodia for a deep exploration of this site.
With the untouched forest, green hills, and majestic waterfalls, Mondulkiri is truly a paradise for adventurous travelers who are interested in Cambodia trekking. In Sen Monorom town of Mondulkiri province, visitors will have a chance to enjoy a beautiful view and the peaceful life of the people here. The town is able to become an ecotourism town, but now this place is still a bit simple, so tourists who choose to come here will have some interesting new experiences.
The interesting thing about Mondulkiri is the unique cultural region, as well as the variety of languages, where you can hear many languages such as Khmer, ethnic languages, Laotian and even Vietnamese, etc. due to the special location, have the border with many other countries.
Many attractive destinations in Mondulkiri province that tourists can choose to explore during their journey. The most beautiful in Mondulkiri that must be mentioned is the majestic waterfalls.
- Boo Sra Waterfall: with 3 levels and cool water, beautiful natural scenery has attracted more and more tourists to come to visit.
- Sen Monorum Waterfall: almost all festivals are held in this waterfall. If tourists visit there at festival times, they will be able to participate in some special and impressive cultural rituals at this waterfall. The waterfall is also divided into 3 levels which are extremely suitable for climbing, trekking, bathing, and relaxing.
- Rum Near waterfall: Rum Near waterfall has a convenient near some industry farms such as coffee, rubber, mango, and avocado. Besides that, the rows of big old trees also provide a beautiful landscape for this waterfall.
4. Bokor Hill
Bokor Hill is located at 1,075 meters above sea level and used to be called “the ghost city of Cambodia” due to the mysterious atmosphere and abandoned buildings covered by full of moss.
- Samprov Pram Pagoda: was built in 1924 by Monivong King. The pagoda is not too large but has a unique architecture: the pagoda is surrounded by five rocks that look like boats. From there, tourists can see the Gulf of Thailand and Phu Quoc Island from a far distance.
Samprov Pram Pagoda
- Ya Mao statue: located on the top of Bokor Hill. It is believed that Ya Mao god will bless for peace and avoid accidents on the way. Tourists often visit and worship her statue when going to Bokor Hill.
- Popokvil waterfall: Popokvil waterfall includes 2 levels, surrounded by forest which creates a beautifully natural picture. The best time to visit this waterfall is around May to October (the rainy season). Tourists are not only swimming here on sunny days but also a good place to take some great check-in photos.
- Old Catholic Church: it was built by the French in the early 20th century for resorting. Tourists will be impressed by the moss-covered brick walls that have existed for a long time. When evening falls, the cathedral is hidden in the cloud with a mysterious feeling.
Hope with this list, you can find your favorite destinations that you want to explore on Cambodia tours and packages at BestPrice Travel!
You may like 5 Mysterious Places Around Indochina
(Image source: Internet)