Vietnam to Cambodia: Complete Guide to Travel
Heading to Vietnam for a holiday? You wouldn’t want to miss out travelling to Cambodia too since the two countries are close neighbours and there are many ways of travelling from Vietnam to Cambodia by air, land, or via the Mekong River.
- How to Travel from Vietnam to Cambodia
- Popular route from Vietnam to Cambodia
- Local tips to get from Vietnam to Cambodia
- Recommend Vietnam Cambodia itinerary
Vietnam and Cambodia are 2 popular countries which travellers always want to combine in their trip to South East Asia. Let's learn detail how you could travel between them in this article.
Vietnam to Cambodia route maps
How to Travel from Vietnam to Cambodia
Vietnam to Cambodia Flight
Flights from Vietnam to Cambodia are gradually becoming cheaper thanks to the rise of several low-cost airlines. There are two large airports in Cambodia, one is Phnom Penh International Airport (PNH) which is located in the capital of Cambodia, and the other in Siem Reap (airport code REP), nearby Angkor Wat, the famous temple complex of the country.
Most flights to Cambodia from Vietnam depart in big cities in Vietnam like Hanoi, HCM City, or Danang. It takes at least one or maximum two hours to fly to Cambodia from Vietnam, and the most popular airlines the tourists choose to travel are Vietnam Airlines and Cambodian Angkor Air with the price ranging around 100 - 200 USD/person. Traveling to Cambodia from Vietnam by air is quite easy with almost hassle-free customs procedures.
Check on Vietnam Flight to find the best flight deal.
Cambodia Air flight from Vietnam to Cambodia
Vietnam to Cambodia Bus
Vietnam to Cambodia bus is one of the most popular transportation both locals and tourists choose to travel. The most popular border crossing between Vietnam and Cambodia by bus is the Moc Bai (Vietnam) - Bavet (Cambodia) border gate. It takes approximately 6.5 hours, including a border stop, traveling by bus directly from Ho Chi Minh city to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
Phnom Penh is about 250 kilometers from Ho Chi Minh City if you are traveling on the road, and 600km from the Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap. Bus is the most economical way of transport you could find. Normally, tourists will travel to Phnom Penh, and stop here for a visit. Then transported by another bus to Siem Reap, Sihanoukville or Battambang.
You can buy your bus Vietnam to Cambodia ticket at the terminal, but it is highly recommended to buy the tickets in advance to secure a seat especially if you don’t know the public holidays for both countries.
Vietnam to Cambodia Bus
Vietnam to Cambodia Private Car
Along with traveling on land by bus, you can consider traveling from Vietnam to Cambodia by private car service. With a system of 7 border gates, there are several options of routes to travel with private transportation. It will be more convenient and flexible to visit places such as Phnompenh, Siem Reap, Kep, Sihanoukville by private car rather than booking a shared tour package as you can decide where you wanna stay longer or leave soon.
There are 3 most popular border gates that tourists choose to travel: Tinh Bien (An Giang province), Moc Bai (Tay Ninh province), and Ha Tien (Kien Giang province).
- Moc Bai border gate is located around 70 km to the northwest of Ho Chi Minh city. Normally tourists traveling from Vietnam to Cambodia would depart from Ho CHi Minh city. If you hire a private car to transport from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh, the traveling takes around 5 hours 30 minutes for a 235 km ride including 70 km from Ho Chi Minh city to Moc Bai border gate, and 165 km from the border gate to Phnom Penh.
- Coming from the Mekong Delta (Can Tho City), you are going to want to cross at the Tinh Bien border crossing. The start of your journey is a 4 hour bus ride from Can Tho to the Vietnam border crossing town of Tinh Bien. After you’re stamped out of Vietnam at the Tinh Bien border crossing, you have a 6 – 7 hour ride to Phnom Penh waiting for you. But if that seems unbearable, heading to Kampot instead of Phnom Penh is a much shorter ride, about 2-3 hours.
- You also have another option to travel from Vietnam to Cambodia through another way from Mekong delta as Cantho to Kep for 5hours to rides by private taxi transfers by the stops at the Ha Tien border or Ha Tien to Sihanoukville for 2h45 minutes to drive by private van transports with driver.
Car from Vietnam to Cambodia
Depending on the bus quality and different bus with or without English speaking driver, the price will vary a bit higher or lower, but you can take a look at the average price shown on the table below to bargain a reasonable price.
|Routes||Duration||4 seats||7 seats||16 seats||35 seats||50 seats|
|Ho Chi Minh to Phnom penh||5hr35||189||199||229||339||399|
|Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap||9hrs30||349||369||399||450||489|
Traveling from one country to another, you surely don't want to get any trouble because of the shortage in your preparation. So here’re the most basic but important things about Passport and visa, of course that you need to prepare. The Cambodia Visa on Arrival Require:
- $30 USD (cash)
- Visa form (You’ll get this on arrival. Fill it out and hand to Border Guard)
- Valid passport (at least 6 months from the expiration date) with at least 2 blank pages left.
- One recent passport-size photo
One more thing you should mind to arrange the best itinerary for traveling from Vietnam to Cambodia is the opening time of the border gates. Moc Bai and Tinh Bien gates will open from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM everyday, however, Ha Tien border gate closes at 4:00 PM.
Vietnam to Cambodia Cruise (Mekong Cruise)
Linked by the mighty Mekong River between Vietnam and Cambodia Cruise abound with magnificent carved temples, lush landscapes, and cities where rich imperial and colonial legacies mingle. An expedition cruise between Ho Chi Minh City and Siem Reap allows you to see more of the region in less time than on self-powered journeys.
The 7-night river journey from Saigon to Siem Reap or in the opposite direction will enlighten and delight you with an unforgettable experience of the Mekong Rivers as well as the Vietnamese and Cambodian communities that inhabit this part of the world.
During the journey, you will have many opportunities to experience not only the major tourist attractions but also the life of the Vietnamese and Cambodian as you travel along the river. You will be led on the vibrant cities of Phnom Penh and Saigon, as well as experience rural life on visits to floating homes, farms, and traditional villages.
Vietnam to Cambodia Cruise
Popular route from Vietnam to Cambodia
There are many cities of Vietnam you can travel direct to Cambodia, below are some most popular routes for you to decide.
Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh
Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh is the shortest and most popular way to travel from Vietnam to Cambodia, you can choose any of the transportations we mentioned above that fit your plan to travel. If you want it’s fast, convenient, take a flight within 1 hour and you can arrive in Phnom Penh.
The bus is preferred by solo or small groups travellers while large groups would choose the private bus rental service. And the Mekong cruises will take longer, but give you chances to immerse in the authentic life of the locals in Mekong delta.
Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh
Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap
Siem Reap is 600 km away from Ho Chi Minh, so if your time budget is limited, a direct flight is the best option. Bus and private car will take around 12 hours to travel, so you can consider passing by other destinations on the way to reduce tiredness and save travelling time also. On the other hand, cruising is the best way to enjoy the real Mekong life if you are not in a rush.
Ho Chi Minh to Sihanoukville
On some days of the week, there’s direct flights from Ho Chi Minh to Sihanoukville by Vietnam Airlines, Cambodia Angkor Air, or Qatar Airways. The flight time is approximately 1.5 hours with a price range is around 100-150 USD. It’s the fastest but most expensive way. You can also take the bus or private car from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh then continuously take a ride, or train from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville.
Chau Doc to Phnom Penh
There are no flights from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh, and there’s no railway between the cities also. The best way to travel is by boat via the Mekong river by boat or ferry. The Chau Doc Phnom Penh ferry route connects Vietnam with Cambodia. Currently there is just the 1 ferry company operating this ferry service, Mandarin Cruises.
The crossing operates up to 7 times each week with sailing durations from around 4 hours. If you choose to travel by boat, it will cost about 25-65 USD depending on which boat you choose. Traveling time to Phnom Penh from Chau Doc via the VinhXuong border is about 5 hours.
Hanoi to Phnom Penh
From Hanoi to Phnom Penh, flight is the most convenient way with only 2-3 hours traveling. However, there are too many things interesting on the road from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh that you will not want to miss. You can consider to travel by plane, train, bus or go biking from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh, then travel to Phnom Penh from Ho Chi Minh any way you love to. That will be an incredible trip from Vietnam to Cambodia.
Hanoi to Siem Reap
Direct flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap is one of the most popular ways tourists choose to come to Cambodia from Vietnam. Despite the high price, flight can save a lot of travelling time and keep you in a good health condition for the whole trip.
But if Hanoi is your first destination you come to Vietnam, or if you haven’t visited Ho Chi Minh city yet, you absolutely should make a visit to this energetic city before moving to Cambodia. And it is even more convenient to travel to Siem Reap from Ho Chi Minh as all the ways are mentioned above.
Local tips to get from Vietnam to Cambodia
- Cambodian Riel (KHR) is the official currency in Cambodia. However, USD is the most popular currency for tourists to this country, you should prepare changes (US $1 is better) to be easier for spending.
- Money exchange, you will certainly need it in all SouthEast Asia countries as sometimes the best things can only be bought in small vendors where you can’t pay by card or dollars.
- Light clothes and an umbrella since the weather in Cambodia is hot and humid with a lot of rainfall.
- A sim card with 4G data for internet demand.
- Although it is not a mandatory document, travel insurance is one of the necessary "tools" to protect you when traveling. You should make sure your travel insurance card is valid by choosing reputable insurance companies.
Recommend Vietnam Cambodia itinerary
It is depend on budget and duration you can choose travel by land package or cruise between Vietnam and Cambodia for best experience.
- Cruise itinerary will takes 3 - 8 days from budget to luxury option for you. However, the most popular one is 8 days cruise between Vietnam & Cambodia through the vast Delta so rich in human life and endeavor and cruising along the river to the countryside of Cambodia.
- Land package tour Vietnam Cambodia will take you between 9 - 3 weeks depend on your plan. Most recommend on is 2 weeks itinerary which immerse you in the culture and nature of Vietnam and Cambodia. In Vietnam, we will cruise the secluded waters of Halong Bay, explore the waterway of Mekong Delta, and relax on the beach of Hoi An, explore the two biggest cities Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. The natural wonder of Vietnam is combined perfectly with some cultural highlights of Hue, Hoi An ancient town before going to the exquisite temple of Angkor and then the bustling city of Phnom Penh. This trip enables you to really discover a full range of sites that Vietnam and Cambodia have to offer.
In short, I hope that this article gives you useful information about how to get to Cambodia from Vietnam. Have a fun trip in this beautiful land! For more tours and useful tips, please check out our website: Bestpricetravel.com
Image source: Internet