Halong Bay Weather in February: Temperature & Things to Do
Halong Bay, one of the greatest wonders of the world, welcomes tourists with great biodiversity and a multitude of exciting activities. However, many people choose to visit this place in February to enjoy the cool weather's winter sunshine. Let’s have a more detailed look at the weather in Halong Bay in February.
- Because of the cool weather, February is one of the best months to visit Halong
- This month is the perfect time for squid fishing due to the squid season
- There may be a surcharge for traveling during Lunar New Year
- Bring warm clothes in case the weather is cold at night
Halong Bay February Weather & Temperature
- Temperature: Halong Bay weather February is the beginning of spring, and it is not too cold with an average temperature of about 18°C. The temperature gets high at the end of the month with the highest temperature of 21°C.
Moreover, the average sea temperature is around 19°C, enabling you to join various aquatic activities such as swimming and kayaking.
- Sunlight: The sunlight is not as harsh as in summer but soft and very comfortable, and you will have more time to enjoy outdoor activities due to the sunshine hours of up to 7 hours per day.
- Humidity: The humidity level of this month is about 80%, not too low to cause dehydrated skin.
- Rainfall: An average precipitation of this month is 17 mm, making it one of the driest months during the year in Halong Bay.
This is not the most humid month of the year in Halong bay, and it doesn’t affect your outdoor activities much.
7 hours per day
Halong Bay Weather February
Events & Festivals during February
Besides taking a cruise on Halong Bay, you can join some festivals like the Yen Tu festival, Cua Ong festival, or Lunar New Year.
Lunar New Year
- Time: Late Jan/early Feb
- 2024: 8th February - 14th February
- 2025: 27th January - 2nd February
- 2026: 15th February - 21st February
Being the biggest festival in Vietnam the year, the Lunar New Year festival is the time when many restaurants and shops are closed.
Note: Bear in mind that there will be a surcharge on the usual prices.
Impressive decoration for the Tet holiday on the Capella Cruise
Yen Tu Festival
- Location: Yen Tu Mountain area
- Time: 10th Jan in the Lunar calendar
- 2023: 31st Jan - 28th May
- 2024: 19th Feb - 17th May
- 2025: 07th Feb - 07 May
The Yen Tu festival is a three-month festival held at Yen Tu Mountain, about 14 km from Uong Bi town (Quang Ninh province).
People come here, especially Buddhists, to pray for luck and health for themselves and their families.
Yen Tu festival in 2019
Cua Ong Festival
- Location: Cam Pha City
- Time: 2nd Jan - 30th April in Lunar calendar
- 2023: 23rd Jan - 18th May
- 2024: 11th Feb - 07th May
- 2025: 30th Jan - 30th April
The Cua Ong festival is held annually in Cua Ong Temple, overlooking the majestic Bai Tu Long bay.
By joining the festival, you will have a chance to learn more about the history of Vietnam and see 34 precious statues with high artistic value.
Cua Ong festival gains the national intangible cultural heritage status
Best Things to Do in Halong Bay
Trekking & Cycling
Best for: Active travelers
Thanks to the beautiful weather, trekking and cycling in Halong Bay during February would be a great choice, as you can avoid the heat in the summertime.
Moreover, you can enjoy the fresh atmosphere and admire the magnificent sceneries of Halong Bay during your adventurous trip.
Enjoying nature and fresh atmosphere while cycling
You should book a Cat Ba island cruise tour with an itinerary including some attractions such as Viet Hai village, Trung Trang cave, and Titop Island,... so you can experience trekking and cycling activities.
Best for: Nature lovers
Taking part in a Halong cruise tour is a must-try thing that every visitor should do when traveling to this bay.
Halong Bay, which is officially one of the 7 natural wonders of the world, will definitely be an ideal destination for you if you are a nature lover.
Coming to the bay, you will have a chance to admire the secluded natural landscapes, and try your luck by joining in squid fishing at night because this month is the squid season.
Having a memorable moment on Swan Cruises
If you have more time, you should book an overnight cruise with a 2-day or 3-day itinerary to be able to explore the bay thoroughly.
Useful Tips for Travellers February
- Don’t forget to book your cruise in advance. Due to the ideal Halong Bay weather in February, there are so many people booking the cruise this month.
- Check the calendar carefully before booking on special occasions to avoid increasing prices and additional charges.
- Frequently check the weather forecast for preparing suitable items.
- Bring warm clothes like hoodies, light jackets, or sweaters in case the temperature drops at night.
- Sunscreen/other skin protection to block UV radiation from being absorbed by the skin.
- Other useful stuff for a perfect cruise tour: raincoats, insect repellent, first-aid kits, hats, flip-flops, and sandals.
Pros & Cons of Visiting Halong Bay in January
- This month is warmer than January, especially suitable for people who aren’t accustomed to the cold climate.
- The nice Halong Bay weather in February will enable you to enjoy many interesting outdoor activities such as trekking, cycling, kayaking, etc.
- Like January, there will be a low chance of cruise cancellation due to the calm weather.
- Coinciding with Lunar New Year, traveling to Halong this month will allow you to experience the exceptional culture of Vietnam.
- Due to being in the peak season, the bay may be more crowded with high travel costs this month.
- Most businesses can be closed during the Lunar New Year, so it will be inconvenient for you to seek shops and services.
- There may be several cold and misty days that affect your outdoor activities.
Overall, the Halong Bay weather in February is so wonderful for you to join outdoor activities.
With the cool weather, the magnificent sceneries, and the fascinating activities, you can easily create memorable experiences with friends and family.
(Image source: Internet)