Halong Bay Weather in May: Temperature & Things to Do
In general, the weather in Halong Bay in May is quite pleasant. You may experience hot weather in the middle of the day, which is inevitable during summertime.
When compared with other months in summer, May has the lowest temperature and less chance of rain. Let’s take a look at our guide for a memorable Halong Bay trip.
- The Halong Bay May weather is hot, you may sweat quite often
- If you love water sports, come to visit this beautiful bay this time
- Halong will be crowded with domestic visitors due to Labor Day and Halong Carnival
- Sunscreen is a must-bring item when traveling in the summertime
Halong Bay May Weather & Temperature
- Temperature: The average temperature in May increases significantly to 28°C. The heat will make you feel a little sticky, though this is the summer month having the lowest temperature. However, it is not a big problem when you immerse yourself in cool seawater.
May is also called one of the best months for water activities because the average sea temperature in May is pleasant - 27°C.
- Sunlight: The daytime in May is about 8 hours per day, which is the same as it is in the previous month.
- Humidity: The average humidity level is 75%, combined with the summer heat can make you feel quite sweaty.
- Rainfall: Average rainfall rises dramatically from 57 mm in April to 192 mm in May, with 14 rainy days. This month also has the lowest rainfall level compared to other summer months.
May is an ideal month to visit Halong Bay, especially for people who would love to join water-based outdoor activities. Sometimes it rains, but you may love it. The rain cools the summer heat this month.
8 hours per day
Halong Bay weather May
Outstanding Events & Festivals in May
Halong Bay Carnival
- Location: Halong city
- Time: At the beginning of May
- Best for: Culture seekers
The first day of May is Labor Day, and local people will travel a lot on this day. Moreover, there will be a Halong Bay carnival held at the beginning of May in Halong city, Quang Ninh province.
It is a big festival in Halong where people gather on the streets, a lot of activities like street parades, enjoying Vietnamese traditional art performances, thematic exhibitions, and art shows are happening on this day.
Vibrant Halong Bay Carnival
If you do not want to travel with the crowd, avoid this day. If you love to learn more about Vietnamese culture, take part in these interesting activities.
Recommended Activities in May Weather
Soaking in the bay’s crystal water
- Best for: Relaxation lovers, active travelers
May is the start of summertime, and summer is always a great time for water-based activities.
Taking a cruise tour to Halong Bay, you will be taken to a pristine beach and have a chance to go swimming and enjoy the clear emerald water to cool down your body.
Waterslide of Capella Cruise
Moreover, you can try sliding down from your cruise to the sea by a waterslide, which is only equipped on the Capella overnight cruise.
If you do not have much time, choose the Catamaran Day Cruise to experience its sunbathing net and waterslide.
Learning how to make Vietnamese cuisine
- Best for: Gourmets
What to do if it rains and you will not be able to join outdoor activities? There are a lot of indoor activities onboard for you to choose from such as massage and spa, enjoying cocktails, or playing games.
If you are a foodie, taking part in a cooking class is strongly recommended. Usually, the cruise’s professional chef will instruct you on how to make traditional Vietnamese fresh spring rolls.
You will have a chance to make this delicious dish by yourself and enjoy your rolls after making them. Moreover, some cruises will teach you basic fruit carving, depending on the itinerary.
Cooking class on board with Capella cruise’s experienced chef
Exploring Cat Ba island by cycling
Best for: Active travelers, culture seekers
If you like other activities on land, try biking around Cat Ba Island. The temperature in May will not be as high as it is in the following months, so you will not sweat too much.
Cycling is the most popular activity in Viet Hai Village
Viet Hai village is located about 18 km from Cat Ba island. Viet Hai belongs to Cat Ba national park, so you will be cycling through jungles and the ocean, visiting the old house in the village, enjoying the beautiful forest trees, and admiring the natural scenery.
Some cruises on Halong Bay have cycling activities on their itinerary, and most of them are luxury overnight cruises.
Insider Tips for Travelers For A Perfect Trip
- May is among the very few months during the year when you can enjoy the cool weather and have to pay less for the cruise.
- The bay is not touristy this month, suitable for relaxation lovers who don’t like crowds and noise.
- There will be a higher possibility of cruise cancellation than in the previous months due to unexpected bad weather conditions.
- May is among the hottest months in Halong Bay, so bring the lightest clothes such as t-shirts, polo shirts, singlets, and shorts.
- Do not forget to bring sunglasses, sunscreen, a swimsuit, hat to protect yourself from intense sunlight.
- It may rain in May, therefore, a raincoat or other waterproofs is necessary.
Pros & Cons of Visiting Halong Bay in May
- The warm weather, long hours of sunshine, and less rainfall in May make it a great weather condition for joining water sports or even just enjoying the sunshine on the sundeck.
- May is in the low season for traveling, so you will be able to enjoy the discount for the cruise and less touristy Halong Bay.
- The daytime is longer than it is in the previous months. You will have more time for interesting activities.
- Sometimes, the weather in May brings storms or heavy rains. It is quite rare, but the cruise can be canceled because of bad weather.
- The bay may be crowded at the beginning of May due to Labor Day and Halong Carnival.
Hope that the above information about the Halong Bay weather in May is helpful for your trip. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of traveling this month to choose a suitable time for your tour booking.
If you need any more information about the weather or cruises, do not hesitate to contact us.
(Image source: Internet)