An Overall Guide about Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh Boat
Vietnam and Cambodia are two beautiful countries in Southeast Asia that share the border. Ho Chi Minh City and Phnom Penh are the 2 must-see places in these 2 countries. Many tourists travel to Ho Chi Minh, then find their way to Phnom Penh. Bus, private car, plane and boat are available for you to choose from. This article includes information about boat transfers from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh. It is useful if you plan to cross the border by boat.
Speedboat to Phnom Penh
Overview of Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh Boat
Traveling from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh is not only about the transfer between 2 destinations but also can explore the immense Mekong Delta by sailing among intricate waterways, visiting vibrant and colorful markets, and gorgeous landscapes, or meeting local people.
There is no direct boat from Saigon, you need to transfer to Mekong Delta where the boat dock, then take a boat to Phnom Penh. There are 2 different types of boats which you can choose to travel:
- A speedboat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh which takes 5 hours, costs from 17 USD to 35 USD. You need to transfer from Ho Chi Minh to Chau Doc by car (about 5 - 6 hours). Normally tourists will choose to combine a tour from Ho Chi Minh to Chau Doc (about 2 days) and then take the speedboat to Phnom Penh.
- Overnight on Mekong River Cruises: this option is suitable for whom want to experience the local life combined with a relaxing stay on a boat because most options are 4 or 5-star cruises and the price is quite expensive. The shortest time will take 3 - 4 days cruising.
Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh boat map
Saigon to Phnom Penh Boat Schedule & Price
As I mention above, there are 2 different types of boats to travel to Phnom Penh from Saigon so the price and schedule depend on boat type too. Let's learn about each option below.
Speedboat to Phnom Penh
With the speedboat you should combine a short trip from Saigon to Chau Doc, normally it will take you 3 days in total. The price for 3 days trip including a boat to Phnom Penh costs you about US$ 340 each person, it can be higher if you prefer to stay in a luxury hotel or use a luxury speedboat.
A short plan for Mekong Mighty Life Escape to Cambodia 3 days can have look below:
- Day 1: Ho Chi Minh City – Cai Be – Can Tho
- Day 2: Can Tho – Cai Rang floating market – Chau Doc
- Day 3: Chau Doc – Phnom Penh
We offer daily departures for this tour, so you just plan and book any date you want. Make sure that you book it soon to avoid any full book of the boat during peak season tourist.
Ho CHi Minh to Phnom Penh speedboat
Overnight Cruise: Big & Luxurious
Normally this option will take you 4 days trip in total. A luxury cruise offers you a romantic, relaxing, and scenic trip, which is the best choice for honeymoon couples or old travelers. Luxury Mekong Cruise to Phnom Penh price is quite expensive from US$ 990/person.
Schedules of these boats are fixed and based on the cruise operators. You can contact our travel consultant to find the suitable one.
Overview plan of this cruise:
Day 1: Ho Chi Minh City – My Tho – Cai Be
Day 2: Cai Be – Sa Dec – Tan Chau
Day 3: Tan Chau – Border crossing – Phnom Penh
Day 4: Phnom Penh
Jayavarman Cruise from Saigon to Phnom Penh
Local tips to travel from Saigon to Phnom Penh boat
- Return speedboat ticket laves Phnom Penh around 13:00
- Take a tour with a speedboat transfer if you want something adventurous, and a lot of exciting activities besides the transfer.
- Take a luxury boat if you want something romantic, and enjoy the slow pace of life.
- Prepare two 4*6 photos, a passport with at least 3 successive blank pages, and money in cash for a Cambodia visa
It is easy to find a way to the border crossing between Vietnam and Cambodia. Either speedboat on a tour or on a luxury cruise, you will enjoy the stunning views and will be able to take beautiful pictures along the way. Book a cruise or Vietnam - Cambodia tour with Bestprice Travel to enjoy your wonderful vacation.
You might also like: Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh Bus
(Image Source: Internet)
Questions & Answers (3)
Does the boat offer different departure time slots from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh?
Hi! Usually the speedboat depart at 7.30 a.m. However, if you charter the boat, the depart time is up to you.
I'm confusing with Jahan and Mekong Princess, which is better?
Hi! At present we have good deals for both cruise you mentioned but the price of Mekong Princess seems better than Jahan Cruise. Please check the latest deal at our top list for Vietnam - Cambodia Cruise
looking at a boat trip from Saigon to Phnom phen with out too much tour stuff. just a quick trip
You can transfer on your own to Chau Doc then take 6 hours speedboat to Phnom Penh.