Hoi An Weather in December & Tips for Travel in Flood Season
Hoi An in December might not be as breathtakingly beautiful as it is in other months in the summertime, but the town still has many things to do and see. The city in the last month of the year is not decorated with electric lights like other cities but is sparkling with colorful traditional lanterns. Traveling to Hoian in December, you may get some rain, that is no problem. Because the weather is still more comfortable than other places in Vietnam, not as sweltering hot as it is in Saigon, or freezing cold like Hanoi. Let see what the weather like in Hoian in December by reading our article.
Hoi An weather in December
December in Hoian is influenced by the tropical monsoonal climate. When you travel in December you can expect: oftentimes rain and expect nice and warm weather. The possibility of you getting rain while traveling to Hoian is not too high. If you are lucky, you will travel on sunny days.
Temperature: the average high temperature is essentially the same as in November. It is still warm 26°C. The average low temperature is 20°C
Rainfall: it is raining for about 7 days, with typically 206mm of accumulated precipitation.
Daylight: With an average of 11 hours of daylight, December has the shortest days of the year.
Sunshine: The average sunshine hours is of 7 hours
Sea temperature: The sea temperature is 25°C
Humidity: The humidity is 84%
- Hoian weather at this time is suitable for tourists who cannot stand the sweltering heat of Saigon or the freezing cold weather of Hanoi.
- December is the low season of tourism, so the airfare or many other services will be cheaper than the peak months, you can easily book cheap flights to Da Nang and move to Hoian from the airport. Moreover, you don't have to worry about having to queue to buy tickets for the amusement park, or other sightseeing places…
- Coming to Hoian during Christmas time, you will be able to enjoy the beauty with a lot of decorations, and exciting events immersed yourself in the Christmas atmosphere.
- If you are unlucky, you will encounter sudden rains. So before visiting Hoian, remember to check the weather forecast to know if there is a chance of rain.
- In December, Hoian weather will be sunny or cloudy during the day, at night it will be quite cold, so it is inevitable that the cold will come when the sun goes out.
Things to do in Hoi An in December
Christmas is a big event that marks the end of the year, and Hoian is one of the best places in Vietnam to celebrate Christmas. During this time, you can hear the rhythm of Jingle Bells everywhere in the town. There are a lot of activities held along the banks of Hoai River, Hoian Island. You will get to see the local folk games, which are wonderful and fun to enjoy at night. All the shops in the Old Quarter are not closed, so you can choose beautiful handmade gifts for your friends and family.
Explore Hoian ancient town and Japanese Covered Bridge
Hoian Ancient Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a great place to visit. This town includes notable heritage buildings such as the Chinese Meeting Halls, the famous Japanese Covered Bridge, temples & pagodas, wooden shop-houses, French-colonial houses, old canals...Coming here, do not miss your chance to explore Hoian ancient town, and visit the Japanese Covered Bridge.
Explore Hoian ancient town and Japanese Covered Bridge
Explore Hoian on the boat
If you come to visit Hoian in the wet days, the old town is underwater, try the unique thing in Hoian: take a boat trip to explore the old town. Of course, you will need to take a life vest, choose a reliable boat. Do not use an old boat, and remember to buy some plastic boots if you want to walk around the old town. Remember to avoid the low lands such as An Hoi, Cam Nam
Visit My Son sanctuary
Located 40 kilometers outside of Hoian, My Son Sanctuary is a Hindu historic site and ruins, constructed between the 4th and 14th centuries by the Champa Kings. This is an interesting place for tourists who want to explore archaeological sites and Hinduism. The UNESCO world heritage site is something similar to as Bagan or Angkor Wat. Many of the temples were built to Hindu divinities – Krishna, Vishnu, and Shiva. The ruined buildings are surrounded by lush vegetation. There is a fairly flat loop trail that allows you to see the highlights of the area on foot. Recommended time to visit this ruin is early in the morning to avoid the crowd.
Visit My Son Sanctuary
Join cooking class
After trying many delicious dishes in Hoian, you may want to learn how to some of them, so you can cook for your family at home. Hoian is one of the best places in Vietnam to learn cooking, the food is amazing, which is the perfect combination between the north and the south of Vietnam. By joining a cooking class, you will be instructed by the talented chef how to cook a variety of Vietnamese dishes including Phở Bò (beef noodle soup), Banh Xèo, and fresh springs rolls. The class was very entertaining, fun, and it is a great activity if it rains and you can not join outdoor activities.
Tips for traveling Hoi An in December
When traveling to Hoian in December, there will be a few things that you need to know as follows:
- Hoi An has many attractive attractions in December, but you should skip the island or Cu Lao Cham because of the bad weather. On sunny days you can still visit Cu Lao Cham, but make sure to be safe before going.
- As the rain starts to ease and temperatures cool down to between 19°C and 24°C in December, this makes for a nice visit with fewer local tourists around. It is in fact a great time to visit Hoian.
- It will be warm in December in Hoian thus long sleeves, long pants, and jumpers will be needed late at night. For the beaches, feel free to put on your best summer outfits: sun hats, sundresses, sunglasses, flip flops, and beach shirts.
No matter what the weather in Hoian is, it is one of the nicest places in Vietnam. The city is beautiful, friendly. It is also cheap, and the food is incredible. Everything is perfect. Visit at least once during your lifetime, and I am sure you will plan to come back. Let's check out Hoi An tours now to get the best one.
You might want to know about Hoi An weather in January.
Image Sources: Internet