Trung Trang Cave
Trung Trang cave is one of the largest caves, representing the cave population in the world biosphere reserve of the Cat Ba archipelago. With a majestic landscape with thousands of natural stalactites with unique shapes, every year, the cave has attracted tens of thousands of domestic and international tourists to visit to see this magical beauty.
The majestic beauty of Trung Trang Cave
- Trung Trang cave was formed tens of millions of years ago
- It has another name Bat Cave because there are thousands of bats with many different species living in the cave.
- This is a natural cave through the mountain with a length of about 300m
- Trung Trang Cave is also associated with the legend of Lady Trung Trang, a hero (or possibly a god) who protects Cat Ba Island.
- They also found traces of the ancient Vietnamese who lived on the island about 6000 years ago in the cave.
The legend of the name “Trung Trang” Cave
According to the stories of the local people, Cat Ba has long been a beautiful pearl archipelago with countless large and small caves. Therefore, this is considered a “delicious piece of cake” for foreign invaders always looking for opportunities to invade. At that time, to protect the entire territory of the country, Lady Chua Trung Trang - an ancient hero, summoned the young men in the region to the sea to fight the enemy to protect the land.
After successfully repelling the enemy, Lady Chua returned to live in this cave to cultivate and protect the lives of the island's inhabitants. Since then, appreciating Ba Chua's heart, the people in the area named Trung Trang Cave.
Trung Trang Cave Entrance
Found in 1938, Trung Trang Cave is called by many different names. In the past, it was called the bat cave because inside, the cave was home to many herds of bats.
During the defendant war against the US invasion, from 1964 to 1968, the cave was selected as the location of the naval command with the task of telecommunication and radio station, so the cave used to be called Navy Cave. The cave still preserves a few traces, such as an entertainment room, meeting room, and water tank ... to serve daily life for our soldiers.
Visit Trung Trang Cave
What to admire?
Trung Trang Cave has an ecosystem in mysterious darkness, home to many species of creatures such as bats, birds, insects, and reptiles. The lighting system is minimal to preserve the characteristics of the ecological environment in the cave.
Although it is a gift of nature, inside the cave, there are many strange shapes of human products such as the natural map of Vietnam, crocodile lake, the way to heaven, etc., the way to the underworld…
- A young woman nestled on a cliff at the gate of the cave
- A crown and a strip of brocade
- Phuc Loc Tho - the 3 deities in Vietnamese belief who are blessed for luck, etc
The end of the journey to discover more than 300 m, it is the creeper door with many shapes as incredible sculptures of creativity. From here, visitors will step into a green space with thousands of trees and vines of Cat Ba Biosphere Reserve.
How to get to Trung Trang Cave?
Located in Trung Trang Valley, about 1km from the center of Cat Ba National Park and 15km northwest of Cat Ba town, Trung Trang is known as one of the typical and largest caves in the cave complex in the Cat Ba Biosphere Reserve.
Trung Trang Cave Location
It is a famous tourist destination in Halong, and to get inside this “Princess’s treasure,” you have to pay for that. The entrance ticket is around 3.5 USD.
If you want to go there yourself, there are 2 ways to get: first from Hai Phong City and second from Halong Bay.
Speed boat or hydrofoil
- Depart: Binh Harbor in Hai Phong City
- Price: US $8 - US $10
- Note: Only departs 2 or 4 times daily
- The best thing about this way is that this ferry runs through the center of Halong Bay, and it’s beautiful
- Depart: Gia Luan Harbor on Tuan Chau Island
- Time: 1 hour
- Price for the ferry: ~US $3.5
- Price for the bus from the hotel to the port: ~US $1.3
Lan Ha or Cat Ba Overnight Cruise
The best way which is considered to visit Trung Trang Cave is to enjoy an Overnight Cruise in Lan Ha Bay. Besides discovering the cave in the available program of the cruise, you also experience lots of fascinating activities such as squid fishing, cooking class, Taichi, and kayaking,...
NOTE: Not every cruise has visited Trung Trang Cave, you should check it out before choosing your journey!
Here is our top suggestion:
|Price from (Per pax)
|Mon Cheri Cruise
|US $258 168
|US $216 149
|US $258 168
|Orchid Classic Cruise
|US $282 175
All of the cruises above are on SALE UP TO 40% at BestPrice. Check it out now for more details!
Once on the island, you can catch a taxi or rent a bike. It is around 15km north of Cat Ba town. It’s very easy to take a taxi or rent a motorbike with a cost of about 10 - 15 USD. Trust me, with google maps, it’s nearly impossible to get lost in Cat Ba.
- Wear a sneaker instead of high heels if you don’t want to get hurt and be difficult while exploring the cave
- Bring a light jacket to warm your body ‘cause the temperature in the cave is lower than the outside
- When discovering the cave, you should choose comfortable outfits and avoid tight suits
- Remember to avoid planning your trip in August and September, which is bad weather, and your journey could be affected by storms
Hope Trung Trang Cave's information will give you helpful knowledge before planning a trip. Contact us if you have any questions or requests about your Halong Trip, BestPrice with Local Travel Expert always welcome you!