5 Most Incredible Things to Do Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai is somewhere mesmerizing and mysterious to explore in Thailand. For those planning to visit Chiang Mai, these below top things to do in Chiang Mai will make your vacation more memorable.
Chiang Mai is the most significantly cultural city in Northern Thailand. There are famous relics that were once part of the heart of the Lanna Empire. It is a perfect combination between the picturesque mountainous scenery and the feeling of comfort and lightness. A place where people find silence, away from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. Coming here, visitors will feel a vibrant blend of old and new. It is a combination of majestic thousand-year-old temples located next to modern shopping centers.
1. Visit Chiang Mai Old City
Chiang Mai Old city is surrounded by walls and moats with an area of 1.5 Sq. Km where you can find many historical sights. It is an exotic and peaceful place for Buddhism, merchants and elephants. Chiang Mai old city is also famous for museums, temples, galleries and is known for its cafes and restaurants. There are plenty of exciting things to see and do within the old city walls. Nowadays it is a popular city for backpackers and travellers. The most famous sightseeings in the Chiang Mai Old City consist of Thapae Gate; Three Kings; Monument; Lanna Folklife Museum; Chiang Mai National Museum; Sunday Walking Street; Saturday Market (Wualai walking street), Sompet Market; Chiang Mai Temples; Wat Chedi Luang; Wat Phra Singh; Wat Chiang Man; Chiang Mai City Arts and Cultural Centre.
At night, you can visit the night bazaar which is a commercial wonderland for bars, restaurants and shops. Despite being a small area, there are plenty of nightlife experiences you can get in Chiang Mai. Some other places you can visit at night include Art of Paradise; Wat Chang Kong Temple; Anusarn Market; Ploen Rudee Night Market; Spas and Massage Shops.
Things to do in Chiang Mai old city
Get a massage; Cycle through the old town; Explore the fantastic street food; Thai cooking class; Chating with Monks; Ride on tuk-tuk.
Chiang Mai old city is also famous for museums, temples, and galleries
2. Visit Ancient Temples
Chiang Mai is abundant with beautifully ancient temples. There are more than 300 Buddist temples throughout the city and surrounding countryside. Most of the temples here are of 'Lanna style' curved by wooden roofs. You could spend time visiting all the temples but your feet may not thank you. Better you can use this list to pick up some of the most gorgeous and eye-catching 'wats' in Chiang Mai.
If you would like to visit the temples, short and sleeveless tops are not supposed to be worn, at least bring a sarong to cover up with when entering the temple. Some temples have public sarongs available. Sandals are acceptable but must have straps around the back, flip flops and backless sandals are not allowed, if you don't have proper shoes you will not be allowed into the temple.
Chiang Mai is abundant with beautifully ancient temples
3. Join a Cooking Class Tour
Chiang Mai is a perfect place to learn how to make the delicious dishes. This is the right place to discover the secrets of Thai cuisine. You can also take away the recipes of the dishes you prepared and recreate them at home. There are a number of cooking schools with experienced local chefs with both vegan and non-vegan classes. Here are the best 10 cooking classes in Chiang Mai.
- Sammy's Organic Thai Cooking School; Sammy's Organic Thai Cooking classes are held on it's beautiful organic farm in the countryside. Your class will start with a trip to the local market.
- Thai Farm Cooking School
- May Kaidee's Cooking School
- The Basil Cookery school
- Smart Cook Thai Cookery School
- Asian Scenic Thai Cooking School
- Tom Yum Thai Cooking School
- Aromdi Cookery School
- Siam Rice
- Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School
- Mama noi Thai Cookery School
Chiang Mai is a perfect place to learn how to make the delicious dishes
4. Try Adventurous Activities
Northern Thailand has jungles with sweeping countryside of banana and bamboo trees, roaming elephants along the rivers. So there are so many adventures to be experienced in Chiang Mai. Here are the top adventures recommended by the travellers to do.
Top 10 Must-try Adventurous Activities in Chiang Mai
- Doi Suthep Temple (Mountain top): Doi Suthep temple is one of the most holy buddist sites in Thailand. You can see the spectacular sunrise from one of the Chiang Mai's highest points in the earling morning at this temple.
- Doi Inthanon National Park: Doi Inthanon national park is famous for its natural beauty with stunning landscapes and amazing activities like trekking.
- Elephant Pride Sanctuary: This sanctuary is located in Doi Inthanon national park. You can experience the honor and pride of 60-80 years old elephants.
- Chiang Mai Night Safari: Chiang Mai night safari is a vocational study centre building the concept of environmental forestry & wildlife conservation. Everything you experience will be unforgettable.
- Chiang Mai Bike Tours: You can experience the bike ride around the city and the hidden countryside and bike rides in the hills.
- White Water Rafting: Maetaeng river is the best river for white river rafting where you get the best adventure.
- Grand Canyon Water Park: It is the biggest water park in Chiang Mai. It offers multiple activities like canoeing, kayaking, zip lining and wakeboarding adventures.
- Chiang Mai Elephant Land: Here you can have great bonding with the elephants. You get a unique opportunity to care for these amazing creatures by feeding, bathing, washing and hugging them.
- Chiang Mai Trekking Tours: There are many trekking tours here which offer great adventure in the jungles and by piroon & baan.
- Muay Thai: Muay Thai is the national sport of Thailand. There are several stadiums to see the live matches.
There are so many adventures to be experienced in Chiang Mai.
5. Shop at Local Market and Taste Local Street Food
Chiang Mai has a lot of intriguing and diverse local markets which offer fresh fruits, clothing and trinkets. Below is the list of Chiang Mai's best markets.
- Warorot Market
- Sompet Market
- Sunday Market
- Saturday Market
- JingJai Market
- Mueang Mai Market
- Chang Phuak Gate Night Market
- Fresh Fruit Market
- Mae Hia Fresh Market
- Chiang Mai Gate Market
Chiang Mai has a lot of intriguing and diverse local markets
Remember to save the link of this article, because it will be helpful for you when you come to Chiang Mai. Hope you will have a fun and meaningful trip! Good luck!
Image sources: Internet