Hai Phong to Halong Bay: Ultimate Guide to Travel
Many visitors to Northern Vietnam consider Halong Bay a must-see attraction for its world-renowned beauty and variety of tourism services. However, you can also visit the highlights of Vietnam on a long day trip and consider adding Hai Phong to your itinerary. Hai Phong is home to wonderful beaches, Cat Ba National Park, remarkable landmarks, and an appealing street food scene. It offers a refreshing vacation in the city without being as touristic as Hanoi. Hai Phong is closer to Hanoi capital than Halong Bay, and is located farther south than Quang Ninh.
Hai Phong and Halong Bay are both located in Northern Vietnam. However, Halong Bay belongs to Quang Ninh Province, on the northeastern coast of Vietnam. Hai Phong City is closer to Hanoi capital, and its location is farther south than Quang Ninh.
Distance from Hai Phong to Halong Bay
The exact distance will depend on where you depart from, below we suggest 2 main distance routes: from the city center or Cat Bi Airport.
- Hai Phong City - Halong Bay distance: 63 km
- Cat Bi Airport - Halong Bay distance: 62 km
- Time transfer: About 1.5 hours drive.
Hai Phong City to Halong Bay
The distance between Hai Phong city center to Halong Bay is 63 km and need to spend around 1 hour and 30 minutes to transfer. It is a good route for buses and taxis, and also the most popular one. Via the new highway, it takes less than an hour and a half. Take Fountain Square at City Center as the departure point, and ride along the Hai Phong - Halong Highway until you reach Halong. From there, you can cruise to explore Halong Bay's natural beauty or go on a food tour around the mainland city.
Hai Phong City to Halong Bay route
Hai Phong (Cat Bi) Airport to Halong Bay
The distance between Hai Phong Airport - Halong Bay is 62 km. Via the Halong - Hai Phong Expressway, this journey only takes 1 hour and 17 minutes. First, head to East-West Avenue (Dai Lo Dong Tay) from Cat Bi International Airport. Then, turn left to get to Ha Doan Road. Take the first exit onto the Hanoi - Hai Phong Expressway on National Road 5B at the roundabout. Once you exit Bach Dang Bridge, enter Hai Phong - Halong Expressway for approximately 10 km to reach Halong City.
Hai Phong Airport is one of the nearest airports to Halong Bay
How to get to Halong Bay from Hai Phong?
Nowadays, most travelers choose the Halong - Hai Phong Expressway. This highway was recently built in 2018 to connect the two destinations in the best way and provide a shorter route between Hanoi and Hai Phong. In terms of transportation, you have the options of going by bus, taxi, private car, and even cruise to Halong Bay.
Note: Prices are used for reference only and are subject to change.
Hai Phong to Halong Bay by private car - Most popular way
- Price: About $35/one-way trip for 4-seat cars, $80+ for 16-seater, and more options.
- Duration: 1.15 hour
Benefits of traveling by private car:
- Flexible schedule, short travel time.
- Complete privacy, new vehicles, and comfortable seats.
- Cost-sharing for larger groups.
An increasingly popular option for group travelers is to book a private transfer. Compared to a taxi, private car operators offer a wider variety of car types, such as 4-seat cars, 7-seat cars, and even larger limousines that can cater to over 20 people. Though one of the most expensive ways to get to Halong Bay is from Hai Phong, guests get comfortable seats with their travel mates. You have the chance to alter your itinerary along the road by communicating with your driver. Usually, the driver would wait for you at the destination for a return trip at any time.
Private car Hai Phong to Halong for small group
Hai Phong to Halong Bay cruise
- Price: $140+ for overnight cruise per customer.
- Duration: 1 day, 2 days, or 3 days
Who should choose cruise?
- Tourists who have at least 2 days and 1 night to dedicate to visiting Halong Bay.
- Those interested in sightseeing and participating in recreational activities.
Staying in Cat Ba island, Hai Phong, and would like to visit Halong Bay on a beach vacation? Worry no more, because some cruises depart from Got Pier in Hai Phong and take you to explore the Halong Bay area. Though this is not a direct way of transferring, it allows you to visit the larger area consisted of Cat Ba island and Lan Ha Bay near Hai Phong City. While going cruising, tourists get the luxury of onboard services and modern amenities, as well as plenty of water-related activities like kayaking and swimming.
Peony Cruise from Hai Phong to Halong Bay
This option is for those who have time to spare and want to visit Halong Bay most comfortably. Visitors can observe the beauty of the Gulf of Tonkin with gorgeous limestone islands and towering sea cliffs. A 2-day-1-night cruise typically costs around $150. There is a wide range of Lan Ha Bay cruises to choose from that will suit each traveler, so do not hesitate to contact BestPrice Travel for further information.
Hai Phong to Halong Bay by bus
- Price: $2-$9.
- Duration: The usual trip takes about one hour and a half since most buses nowadays save travel time using the Hai Phong - Halong Bay Expressway.
Why should you travel by bus?
- The cheapest means of transportation among all the ways you can get from Hai Phong City to Halong.
- Safe and easy to book a ticket
The option of going by bus is safe and inexpensive compared to private vehicles. Though, you might find it inconvenient to plan your schedule around the bus times and find ways to get to the bus station from your accommodation. There is a bus departing every 20 minutes from Hai Phong Lac Long bus station and arrive in Bai Chay station in Halong. This bus ride costs only $2 and takes one hour and 25 minutes.
Hai Phong to Halong Bay bus
Hai Phong to Halong Bay by taxi
- Price: A taxi ride from Hai Phong to Halong Bay usually costs $30-$45.
- How to book: You can book by calling the company hotline or ask your hotel and cruise provider to organize a taxi for you.
Why is going by taxi a suitable choice?
- Transferring by taxi saves plenty of waiting time, and you can be flexible about when to depart.
- It is good for small groups like families and friends as taxis allow more privacy.
Traveling in a group? Booking a regular taxi is best. It's more expensive than buses, but at around 30 to 45 dollars per trip, it's worth it for the luxury of departing whenever you want. The 65-km journey between Hai Phong City and Halong Bay takes about 40 minutes. Ask hotels to book for you, but check the price and company beforehand to avoid extra costs and troubles.
Ferry travel is also possible from Hai Phong to Halong Bay, but it takes almost four hours, including waiting times, so it's not the most popular option. Visitors need to take a ferry from Got Pier to Cat Ba island, and then take a speedboat to Halong Bay.
Local tips to get from Hai Phong to Halong Bay
- When traveling from Hai Phong to Halong Bay, make sure to check the reliability of your transportation provider, whether you choose to go by bus or taxi. If you are unsure, ask your hotel or cruise company to book your tickets for you.
- To get a closer view of Halong Bay, you can take a ferry or go on an overnight cruise. Plan your itinerary and decide on transportation early on to avoid worrying once you arrive in Vietnam.
- If you are traveling with small children or elders, it is best to book a private car or taxi instead of a public bus. This ensures a more convenient ride for both your family and other travelers. Choose the means of transport that is most suitable for your traveling needs.
Many tourists opt for a full Halong bay package tours, which includes transfer services. Booking a tour is recommended, especially if you are a first-time traveler to Vietnam. BestPrice Travel, established in 2010, is a leading travel company in Indochina that provides tours, hotel & flight booking, and other travel services at the lowest cost. Travelers can discover Hai Phong, Halong Bay, and other attraction spots with our trusted partners and have a hassle-free trip.
You might also look for a transfer from Hanoi to Halong
Image source: Internet