Ho Chi Minh to Hue Train: A Full Guide for Amazing Experience
Big provinces in Vietnam are connected by the railway system, so if you have a flexible schedule, want to save money when travelling, you should not miss the train trip. The train moves slowly through mountains, forests, valleys, plains, and the sea, giving you the chance to enjoy breathtaking views outside the windows, take pictures and videos along the way. Travelling on the train from Ho Chi Minh to Hue is an amazing experience, so keep reading our article about Ho Chi Minh to Hue Train to find more information.
About Ho Chi Minh to Hue train
The railway from Ho Chi Minh station to Hue station is about 1038 kilometres. It takes from 18.5 to 22 hours to travel on this route. The fastest train is SE2, departing from Ho Chi Minh at 21:55, arrives in Hue after 18 hours 33 minutes, while the showest one is SE6, and it takes 20 hours 13 minutes to get to Hue.
Travelling time from Ho Chi Minh Hue on the train is quite long, and you will have the chance to see many beautiful landscapes along the way. From the window on the change, you can see the change from green to golden paddy fields, local markets, thriving orchards, towering mountains, blue sea… The main stations that the train will stop at are Nha Trang, Danang, and Hue. The best route on the train from Ho Chi Minh to Hue is Danang - Hue section where you will see the world-class tourist attraction: Hai Van pass and Lang Co beach.
Reunification Express train has 5 trains running on this route: SE2, SE4, SE6, SE8, SE10, and SE12. The seat types include the hard seat, the soft seat, the hard berth (6 berths in a cabin), and the sort berth (4 berths in a cabin). All carriages and cabins from Soft Seat type to Soft Berth type, are air-conditioned with comfortable seats, or berths. Reunification Express Trains are classified as the basic standard. All the trains don’t have restaurant carriage, so bring enough food and drink with you.
- Ho Chi Minh railway station: 1 Nguyen Thong, 9 Ward, 3 District, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hue railway station: 2 Bui Thi Xuan Street, Hue, Thua Thien–Hue Province
Ho Chi Minh to Hue train schedule & price
Please see the schedule and price for Ho Chi Minh to Hue train below:
|Train number||Duration||Departure||Arrival||Hard Seat (USD)||Soft seat (USD)||Hard berth (USD)||Soft berth (USD)|
|SE2||18 hours 24 minutes||21:55||16:19||41||48||68||72|
|SE4||19 hours 41 minutes||19:45||15:26||41||48||68||72|
|SE6||19 hour 52 minutes||9:00||04:52||41||48||68||72|
|SE8||19 hours 34 minutes||6:00||1:34||41||48||68||72|
|SE10||22 hours 58 minutes||14:00||12:58||41||48||68||72|
Hue train station
Pros and Cons of Ho Chi Minh to Hue
- Safety: Traveling on the train is safe as we have not had any problems with the Vietnam railway before.
- Reasonable price: The train is only half the price of the plane ticket, and it is slightly higher than a bus ticket.
- Beautiful view: Trains from Ho Chi Minh to Hue moves slowly through mountains, forests, valleys, and even the ocean, which helps everyone enjoy Vietnam’s authentic natural vista.
- Authentic experience: Spending nearly a day on the slow train, you can meet a lot of local people: from students to workers, business owners, tourists, which is a great chance for you to talk with them, and understand more about Vietnam.
- Basic train: The train in Vietnam is not as modern, fast, and clean as trains in other countries. You may find the hard seat uncomfortable, it is impossible to change the angle of the seat, and lie down. The soft seat can be small and narrow. You had better choose the soft berth on the train.
- Crowd: The carriage can be packed with local people; it is too noisy to sleep in. You will need to take care of your luggage as well.
- Hygiene: The toilet can be not as clean as it is in the hotel. The food served on the train can be cold and you may question the hygiene of the food.
Relaxing journey from Ho Chi Minh to Hue by train
Tips for a train journey
- Book the ticket in advance to choose the best seat, and to make sure your group can be in the same cabin with you.
- Bring food and drinks if you are afraid of food quality on the train.
- Do not bring too much baggage; you cannot have a good sleep while watching over your belongings all the time.
- Put your money, passport, and valuable things with you always.
- Prepare some small notes for paying for the taxi, or buying food and drink on the train
- Do not forget to bring a large towel to use as the blanket and keep you warm throughout the long trip because it can be freezing cold on the train
- There is no sleeper cabin on the train available and you need to book a hard or soft seat, prepare a neck pillow.
- Do some light exercise every couple of hours for blood circulation and getting rid of weariness?
- If there is a problem with your seat or food quality, do not hesitate to ask the coach’s conductor.
All in all, travelling on the train is a unique experience you may have in Vietnam, so do not miss it. Another way to enjoy the train and beautiful landscape is to book a Vietnam tour with train travel. The Vietnam package tour 15 days with train ride includes your train transfer, hotel accommodations, tours at the stops, and it is at a reasonable price.
Image source: Internet
Questions & Answers (1)
Hello, thank you for all the advices in your article. Where could I book the train ticket in advance ?
You can book direct at train station or contact BestPrice travel to get ticket.