Southern Vietnam Itinerary: Suggestion for the Best Trip Plan 2023
South Vietnam is a worth-visiting destination of Vietnam with its diverse culture since this region always has something for any type of visitor: from famous historical sites and bustling floating markets to the tranquil countryside of the Mekong Delta.
BestPrice Travel will introduce the best South Vietnam itineraries that will take you to must-see places in this attractive area. Let's keep rolling to figure it out!
- Best Recommendation for South Vietnam Itinerary
- Other Alternatives to South Vietnam Itinerary
Best Recommendation for South Vietnam Itinerary
- Best for: Culture seekers and Adventurers
- Suggested budget: From US $450 per pax
- Destinations you will go: Ho Chi Minh City, Cu Chi Tunnels, Can Tho
- Transportation: Car, Xe loi, and Boat
When is the best time to visit South Vietnam?
South Vietnam has two seasons: dry (November - April) and rainy (May - October). The rainy season is quite inconvenient for traveling because there can be typhoons, which will cause heavy rains and floods.
Therefore, we would recommend you visit the South from December to April next year. One important thing that should be noted is the weather will be quite hot (about 30°C), so remember to bring light clothes and sunscreen.
Though the weather may not be ideal for some people, this region is still worth traveling to due to its rich culture. You will have memorable moments and wonderful experiences that you can't get in the North of this country or anywhere in the world.
|Day||Highlights||Where to stay|
|Day 1||Arrive in Ho Chi Minh City||Hotel in Ho Chi Minh|
|Day 2||Visit Cu Chi Tunnels & Must-see Sai Gon attractions||Hotel in Ho Chi Minh|
|Day 3||Explore the local life of the Mekong Delta||Hotel in Can Tho|
|Day 4||Witness The Local Life In Cai Rang Floating Market||Hotel in Can Tho|
|Day 5||Depart Sai Gon|
Day 1: Arrive in Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Sai Gon, is one of the largest cities in Vietnam. This area is also known as "the city that never sleeps," as it is always bustling, regardless of day or night.
It is wise to spend your first day exploring the bustle và frenzy of this big city, and here are the top activities that you should consider.
- Experience the rush hour of the urban area
You will get on a local vehicle and be driven to Sai Gon streets, passing by the second tallest skyscraper in Vietnam, Bitexco Tower. You can catch a glimpse of the dynamic life and attractive local shops on the way.
Witness The Developed Area Of Ho Chi Minh City
- Stop by the biggest market in Sai Gon
If you are a shopaholic, Chinatown (Cho Lon) will be your must-see destination. This is the biggest shopping area in Ho Chi Minh City where you can take a look at many local shops and buy souvenirs.
Moreover, this place is also famous for its cheap and delicious street food. You can try various tasty snacks in the food area of the market.
Beef Noodles, Sweet Soups, And Dumplings Are Popular Sai Gon Food
- Lost in a colorful flower market
Being the largest flower market in Sai Gon, Ho Thi Ky flower market is an interesting destination where you can go around and have a look at numerous vendors selling multicolor bouquets.
- The must-try dishes in the Chinatown market are Pho, Hu Tieu, Banh Xeo, Banh Khot, and Sweet Soup. The price is only US $1 - US $3.
- You will find the flower market’s ground is wet, so it’s better to wander around the area on foot. The parking fee is from US $0.5 - US $1.
- Exploring local areas in Ho Chi Minh City by motorbike is an authentic experience. So the tour Sai Gon nightlife tour by motorbike is highly recommended.
Day 2: Visit Cu Chi Tunnels & Must-See Sai Gon Attractions
Cu Chi Tunnels is the first destination on your second day; and since it is about 70 km from Ho Chi Minh City, you can simply take a short nap on the way. Coming to this place and climbing through different compartments might give every tourist a definite feeling of the suffocation and hardness inside the underground system. Although it has been significantly expanded to serve tourism purposes, the heroic atmosphere of wartime is still lightened.
Next, let’s spend the rest of your day on a short city tour in Ho Chi Minh city. The iconic sites that you can’t miss are:
- The two most beautiful French gothic buildings of Sai Gon
The Central Post Office and Notre Dame Cathedral are two famous attractions with marvelously unique French architecture from the 19th century. Two spots are located on the same street: Cong Xa Paris.
Central Post Office - One Of The Most Iconic Sites In Sai Gon
- The Historical Reunification Palace
If you're a history lover and prefer to learn about the wars, then do not miss the chance to visit the Reunification Palace and learn more about the Vietnam War.
We recommend that you should spend some time admiring the historical artifacts, which have been well-preserved. There is the historic UH-1 helicopter, the German Mercedes Benz 200 W110 and the Jeep M152A2 used to transport President Duong Van Minh.
Reunification Palace Received National Cultural & Historical Relic
- The local market
Shopping around Ben Thanh market or another urban one can be a great experience because you can find out super-cool things to bring home as the most unique souvenirs.
- Central Post Office opens from 17:00 - 19:00, while the Notre Dame Cathedral’s opening hours are 08:00 - 16:00. There is no entrance fee to go inside.
- If you have time, Book Street is the perfect place to browse some bookstores and sip your coffee. It’s near the church and post office.
Day 3: Explore the local life of the Mekong Delta
Once you arrive in Can Tho, your Mekong Delta tour begins immediately. You will have a chance to explore this mystery land in different vehicles.
- Visit Vinh Trang Pagoda in My Tho city
Vinh Trang Pagoda is the most beautiful and biggest pagoda in Tien Giang Province, where you can see its unique mixed architectural design from both Western and Eastern styles.
Vinh Trang Pagoda In The Morning
- Explore the Mekong River by boat
You will have a chance to get on a sampan, which is a popular transport in the Mekong Delta area. The sampan will be rowed by the locals, then they take you through narrow canals to explore the world's biggest inland fishery - the Mekong River.
Cruise Along A Small Canal By Boat
- Take a bite of coconut candy
The South is well-known as a coconut kingdom, so take time to visit a coconut candy factory and see how the local people make coconut candies. You can try the sweet taste of this candy right at the factory. Bon appétit!
- Enjoy the peaceful Mekong countryside by ‘Xe Loi’
Hopping on a ‘Xe Loi’ (a variation of cyclo), you can experience the lush scenery and tranquil atmosphere of the countryside. Then, you are taken to fruit orchards, where visitors can directly pick fresh fruits and enjoy them right there.
Go Around Mekong’s Villages By Xe Loi
- Don't forget to buy these delicious and affordable candies as souvenirs. Its price is about US $2.
- Mekong Delta is rich in various tasty tropical fruits. You should not miss trying durian, which is called the “King of Fruits”.
Day 4: Witness The Local Life In Cai Rang Floating Market
The 4th day of your southern Vietnam itinerary will be the day for you to continue your journey to discover the Mekong Delta by visiting Cai Rang Floating Market.
Getting on a motorboat to the largest floating market in Can Tho’ Cai Rang Floating Market, you will have a chance to experience the vibrant life of people living in this region, see them sell seasonal goods such as fruits, vegetables, and specialties like dried fish, fish sauce, coconut candy, etc.
Pineapple Vendor In The Cai Rang Market
- It’s a good chance for you to try local food, there is a huge variety of street food such as Pho, Hu Tieu, and Com Tam at a reasonable price from US $1 - US $3.
- It’s better to visit this floating market in the early morning because you can taste the freshest food.
- Remember to bring a hat and sun cream to protect yourself from intense sunlight.
After being transferred to Ho Chi Minh City, you can join in an additional tour to explore the lively city by cruise or know more about the culture by seeing the famous art performance, A O Show.
Day 5: Time To Depart Sai Gon
It would be a great experience to wake up early in this city and start the day like a local with a good morning Sai Gon tour.
- Have a stroll and enjoy the fresh air at Tao Dan Park, which is an open lush space in the center of Sai Gon.
- Visit the local food market, where locals shop and bargain for the freshest produce available. Here, the locals trade everything from raw seafood to dried meat and fresh seasonal vegetables.
- Have a fantastic breakfast with Vietnam’s national dish - Pho. Don't miss the chance to enjoy “Ca Phe Sua Da” (Vietnamese Iced Milk Coffee) after your breakfast.
For more details, let's see what exactly a Best of South Vietnam 5 days tour has to offer you at BestPrice Travel.
Other Alternatives to South Vietnam Itinerary
If you think 5 days in South Vietnam are not enough to discover every key attraction, here are two longer itineraries that could give you more memorable experiences.
Southern Beauty and Relaxation 8 days
- Best for: Recharge retreaters and Culture lovers
- Recommended budget: From US $500
- Destinations: Ho Chi Minh City, Can Tho, and Phan Thiet
- Key attractions: Cu Chi Tunnels, Cai Rang Market, and Mui Ne
- Special local transports: Sampan and Xe Loi
As these 8 days of South Vietnam are aimed at retreatment, you won't have to travel to locations that are far apart.
- You will spend the first two days exploring the top-notch places in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon Opera House, Ho Chi Minh City Hall, etc.), and visit the historical Cu Chi Tunnels.
- In the next two days, you can enjoy the pleasant vibe of the Mekong Delta, discover Mekong waterways by boat, and try much special food in the local market.
- These last four days will be the time for your beach relaxation in Phan Thiet coastal town. The must-visit attractions are Co Thanh beach, which is famous for its breathtaking rocks and sand, and Mui Ne beach, which is ideal for experiencing any water sports.
The Breathtaking Beauty Of Co Thach Beach
If you are still searching for more available options for a comfortable holiday, check out the best Vietnam beach holiday packages with multiple duration choices.
South Vietnam Biking & Beach Break 6 days
- Best for: Active Travelers, Bikers, and Cyclists
- Recommended Budget: From US $900
- Key Destinations: Cai Be, Can Tho, Chau Doc, Ha Tien, and Phu Quoc
- Main vehicles you will use to travel: Bike and Bicycle
This 6-day trip is designed for active people who want to invest much time in outdoor activities.
- Starting the tour with a long biking road to Cai Be and Can Tho also having a rowboat cruising through many small canals might offer you an unrivaled experience. However, every first-time foreign traveler needs to prepare Insect Repellent Cream, hats, sunglasses, and sun cream.
- On the second day, you can get on a boat to many vendors’ boats on the Can Tho River and taste various kinds of fruits such as durian, rambutan, mangosteen, jackfruit, and dragon fruit.
- Day 3 is another cycling day that will take you to Tinh Bien through a 22-kilometer road. Then, you will be transferred to Phu Quoc by a speedboat and start your discovery in this most beautiful beach in Vietnam.
- You can join multiple activities like snorkeling underwater, having a motorbike tour to discover the city, booking a night fishing trip, or sunset sightseeing on a private boat in these last two days.
Discover The Underwater World Of Phu Quoc
Hope that you will have the necessary information about must-see attractions and what to do in South Vietnam.
The BestPrice Travel team also offers countless tailor-made South Vietnam itineraries, which allow you to discover the beauty of this region in different ways. Contact us now and receive a free consultation to choose the itinerary that best suits your needs and budget.
(Image source: Internet)
Questions & Answers (3)
My family (3 pax) want to book a Mekong Delta tour next month, however, it seems most tours concentrate on exploring local lifestyle by visiting bee farm, fruit orchards, and candy workshops. Is there any tour in Mekong Delta where we can spend most time fo the tour cruising along the river?
Hi! For your request, we suggest you should consider Mekong River Cruise instead of a normal Mekong Delta tour. The cruise duration is from 2 days to over 10 days, you can choose the one that you prefer on our top selections for Mekong Cruise
My wife and I will travel to South Vietnam in August for 1 week (Ho Chi Minh City, Cu Chi, and Phu Quoc). and we r just beginning to plan the trip. My wife is an ovo-vegetarian, which means she cannot eat meats, seafood yet allows eggs. is it easy to find vegan options? is restaurants for vegans popular? Since we will spend most time in Phu Quoc. I am interested in any suggestions of resorts /activities for beach vacation. Thanks a lot.
There are many option for vegetarian in Saigon and Phu Quoc. You can feel confident to start the trip now.
Do the Mekong Delta destinations have great food and drink? I heard that the floating market has exciting eating experiences. What exactly are those?
You can try foods at some floating markets, fresh fruits and tasty local foods can be found there. We offer tours to Mekong Delta with amazing local guides who can help you have a wonderful culinary experience there.