Vietnam Itinerary 5 Days: 3 Best Plans for North, Center or South
5 days in Vietnam seem to be not enough to travel the whole country, but you still can deeply explore one specific region of this scenic country. This article will introduce the detailed plans for a Vietnam 5-day tour in the North, Central, and South.
- Experience the Vietnam Northern Natural Beauty in 5 Days
- 5 Days of The Ancient Peace in Central Vietnam
- Relaxation of 5 Days in South Vietnam
Experience the Vietnam Northern Natural Beauty in 5 Days
- Best for: Singles & Solo, Young Adults
- Recommended budget: Around US $340 per person
- Top destinations: Hanoi City, Halong Bay, Hoa Lu, Tam Coc
- Widely-used transportation: Shuttle bus, car, cruise
- Travel style: Soft Adventure, Culture
North Vietnam is considered the most spectacular part of the whole country where tourists can join lots of adventures. To start a 5-day trip to northern Vietnam, you need to book your international flight to land at Noi Bai Airport, which is about 40 km from Hanoi city center, a great base to explore many wonders in this region.
This 5 days in Vietnam itinerary is designed for people who want to explore the true sense of northern Vietnam in combination with relaxation. There is not much trekking or walking, and you have a lot of time to relax on an overnight cruise in Halong Bay. You can refer to the overview itinerary below.
Day 1: Hanoi Arrival
Welcome to Hanoi, Vietnam’s capital city with plenty of preserved historic buildings and museums. You definitely can get an insider view of the country's history, people, and cultures here. On this first day, your driver will pick you up at Noi Bai airport and transfer you to your hotel.
Day 2: Hanoi City Tour
There are many corners to discover in Hanoi so you should spend this whole day visiting the top famous destinations and trying the most typical activities.
- The highlight landmarks: the Temple of Literature, One Pillar Pagoda, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Tran Quoc Pagoda, and Hanoi West Lake.
- The highlight activities: booking a one-hour cyclo tour, attending a water puppet show, having lunch/dinner at a traditional Vietnamese restaurant, and trying some street food.
The Temple of Literature, Hanoi
Day 3: Discover Ninh Binh’s Charm
The next destination is Ninh Binh province. You will need the full energy to explore these natural and historical places:
- Hoa Lu: the ancient capital of Vietnam during the Dinh and Le dynasties.
- Tam Coc: the local river with impressive caves and limestone mountains.
Don’t forget to stop by for an authentic Vietnamese-style lunch and capture various rural landscape photographs.
Tam Coc, Ninh Binh
Day 4: Halong Bay Cruise Overnight
One of Vietnam’s UNESCO World Heritage sites, Halong Bay is a gorgeous area to see the limestone karst. The schedule you follow might include many interesting activities:
- Witness the unusual rock formations on Halong Bay.
- Stop at Thien Cung Grotto, the unique fine-art natural museum.
- Enjoy fresh seafood during the trip.
- Have the opportunity to swim, kayak, and see how life is like living on the water.
It’s recommended to stay overnight on the boat.
Kayaking on Halong Bay
Day 5: Return to Hanoi
After having a wonderful time in Halong Bay, you will get back to Hanoi by shuttle bus and get ready for departure.
Let’s get into more details about our tour: A Glimpse of North Vietnam 5 Days.
For travelers who love exploring many villages and terrace rice fields, there is another option for the 5-day Vietnam itinerary. This tour can create the best trekking and hiking experience in the North of Vietnam. Here is the suggested itinerary:
- Day 1: Hanoi arrival and take an overnight train to Sapa.
- Day 2: Enjoy easy Sapa trekking to the ethnic village to learn how local people live.
- Day 3: Continue to discover the village in Sapa then transfer back to Hanoi by bus.
- Day 4: Experience the Halong Bay cruise.
- Day 5: Go to the airport and end your tour.
If you are looking for more plans, please visit our North Vietnam tours page which provides you with more choices and plans.
5 Days of The Ancient Peace in Central Vietnam
- Best for: Singles & Solo, Young Adults
- Recommended budget: Around US $210 per person
- Top destinations: Hue, Hoi An, My Son sanctuary
- Widely-used transportation: Shuttle bus, car, boat
- Travel style: Culture, History
The 5 days itinerary of Central Vietnam will give you a chance to see most of the must-see UNESCO World Heritage Sites: The Imperial City of Hue, the charming ancient town of Hoi An, and the mysterious ruins of My Son sanctuary. You will not only travel by car but also get on a boat trip along the Perfume River and drive along the scenic Hai Van Pass.
Day 1: Da Nang Arrival - Road Transfer to Hue
The landing place for this trip is Da Nang airport, and then, you will travel to Hue as the first destination by car or shuttle bus. Hue is a great place to visit if you are into culture and architecture. It’s also an interesting destination to explore with some fascinating Buddhist temples, pagodas, palaces, and tombs.
14:00 is the hotel check-in time, but you can charge an additional fee to be able to check in earlier. After that, you can spend the rest of the day relaxing and exploring the city’s nightlife on your own.
An interesting activity that we recommend is having a Hue food tour. You would be amazed at the flavory and unforgettable local cuisine, which still inherits a lot of royal courses from the past.
You can book our half-day Hue night culinary tour to gain much useful information about Hue cuisine from our dedicated guides and have the best experience with authentic food.
The first dish you must try: Bun Bo Hue
Day 2: Half-day Hue City Tour
You will have this whole day to continue exploring Hue. The top tourist attractions that you should visit are:
- Thien Mu Pagoda: a historic structure that captivates travelers with its unique seven-story height.
- Hue Imperial Citadel: belonging to the Royal Nguyen dynasty.
- Dong Ba Market: where you can discover amazing Vietnamese handicrafts and gifts at reasonable pricing.
Hue Imperial Citadel
Day 3: Road Transfer: Hue - Danang - Hoi An
The itinerary for the third day will take you to Hoi An, an ancient and peaceful town on the river. Surely you will be impressed with the ancient architecture of houses, streets, and roads in this land, which makes Hoi An become charmingly unique in its own way.
It might take a morning to move from Hue to Da Nang, passing the Hai Van Pass, then get to Hoi An at noon. After completing the hotel check-in process, you will enjoy the remainder of the day exploring Hoi An Ancient Town.
You may either walk down its main street or join a half-day trip with an expert guide to learn about the city on an intriguing day. Here are some half-day tours that you might consider:
- Walking City Tour: to get a quick introduction to the city's architecture and culture.
- Street Food Tour: to discover some hidden streets with distinctive cuisine.
- Cooking Class Tour: to know how to make some typical Hoi An dishes.
Try some special Hoi An street food
Day 4: My Son Holly Land & Hoi An City Tour
My Son Sanctuary is the next destination to explore. You can get to this partially ruined Hindu place by car and learn more about the Champa Kingdom and visit the Sa Huynh Champa Culture Museum.
My Son Sanctuary
In addition to visiting the above architectural monuments, you still have the whole afternoon to enjoy the peaceful feeling in Hoi An.
Day 5: Hoi An - Da Nang Departure
After having breakfast in the hotel, it’s time to pack your things and get to Da Nang airport for the departure flight.
If you are looking for other plans, don't hesitate to find them on our Center Vietnam tours.
Relaxation of 5 Days in South Vietnam
- Best for: Singles & Solo, Young Adults
- Recommended budget: Around US $430 per person
- Top destinations: Ho Chi Minh City, Cu Chi Tunnels, Mekong Delta, Can Tho
- Widely-used transportation: Car, boat
- Travel style: Interact with local, Relaxation, Culture, History
On this 5-day plan, you will be able to discover the best of South Vietnam. It starts with a full-day tour to visit historical and cultural sites in Ho Chi Minh and Cu Chi tunnels to witness the historical Vietnam War. You then spend 2 days in the Mekong Delta sailing among intricate waterways, visiting vibrant and colorful markets, and meeting local people. The last day in Saigon can end with a good morning tour to explore Saigon early in the morning.
Day 1: Ho Chi Minh Arrival
Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Saigon, is a vibrant and charming city. This city welcomes millions of tourists to come to Vietnam each year as it is not only the economic, cultural, scientific, and technological hub of the country but also the main destination for tourism in Vietnam.
On the first day of the tour, you will be picked up at the Tan Son Nhat airport and have the check-in at the hotel after 14:00. You can take the rest of the day to relax before starting your journey on the next day.
Day 2: Ho Chi Minh City Tour - Cu Chi Tunnel Exploration
The first destination you have to visit on this tour is the Cu Chi Tunnel, which is 45 km far from Ho Chi Minh city. It would be an unforgettable experience for any tourist when exploring the complicated tunnel system underground which was mainly created mainly for Vietnamese soldier protection.
The historical Cu Chi tunnel
Meanwhile, inside the city, there are several symbolic places that are worth visiting such as the Reunification Palace, Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, and the Old Post Office. You will have the chance to witness the perfect French colonial architecture and buy the best typical souvenirs.
Day 3: Discover the Highlight of the Mekong Delta
Mekong Delta, about 70 km far from Ho Chi Minh City, is one of Vietnam's main tourist attractions. Its area is served as the rice bowl of Vietnam, and is famous for its timeless charm with meandering waterways, sleepy riverside villages, traditional workshops, historical ruins, and intriguing culture.
Mekong Delta boat trip
And the most interesting thing about this tour is that every tourist can have many excursions around Mekong Delta’s canals, including:
- Visit the well-known Buddhist Vinh Trang Pagoda;
- Come to floating markets where locals exchange goods;
- See how the locals make coconut candy;
- Enjoy local specialties for lunch by the river;
- Take a “Xe Loi” drive around the village;
- Enjoy a scenic night at Can Tho.
That is a chance for you to get an insight into the local life and style of the typical Vietnamese countryside.
Day 4: Visit Cai Rang Floating Market
Day 4 of the tour will bring you to another Mekong floating market: Cai Rang floating market. Of course, you can spend all morning enjoying a more colorful array of commodities ranging from fruits and vegetables to cosmetics, clothing, mobile cards, gasoline, etc.; then get back to Ho Chi Minh city in the afternoon and explore the city life until night.
Day 5: Ho Chi Minh Departure
Before ending the trip, you still have the chance to join an optional Ho Chi Minh short tour during this last morning, or you can spend some leisure time before checking out at 12:00 and then transfer to Ho Chi Minh City International Airport.
These South Vietnam itinerary 5 days are perfect for visitors who appreciate the spectacular sceneries and want to discover Vietnam War relics, and on BestPrice Travel website, there are more similar options to choose from. Take a look at our Best Southern Vietnam tours 2024 to pick up the most suitable trip.
Above are recommended itineraries for three regions in Vietnam, and if you are looking for more Vietnam tour details of each itinerary, do not hesitate to contact us. BestPrice Travel can help you with a full detailed itinerary, and booking all the services such as Vietnam tours, flight tickets, accommodations, etc. Wish you have a good time traveling in Vietnam!
(Image source: Internet)
Questions & Answers (1)
Hi Im From Sri Lanka.Im planing to visit Vietnam in August for 4 days.Please introduce me your best travel plan.Total pax 3.my self,my wife and child of 14 years. Thank you Saman Andarawew
You will have to choose to travel at North or South of Vietnam. I would recommend the north first