Thailand to Vietnam Bus: Schedule & Price
Going from Thailand to Vietnam by bus can be the most practical and cost-saving way since the two countries are pretty close. If you plan to visit both of them, maximize your experience by choosing this route. You can continue your journey to Vietnam after spending time in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or Ayutthaya, where you can explore sacred pagodas and lively nightlife. The trip is an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in Southeast Asian beauty since Thailand and Vietnam offer distinct experiences also cultures and should be on any traveler's itinerary. Combining these trips can save you significant money compared to paying for two separate trips. Let's learn detail about the bus schedule & price in the article below.
Overview Of Thailand To Vietnam By Bus
- Specifically, the journey takes approximately 10 to 15 hours, enabling you to visit more fascinating tourist destinations outside Thailand and Vietnam. The bus will typically leave from Bangkok, travel through Cambodia, and arrive in Ho Chi Minh City, or will make its way through Laos and arrive in Hanoi.
- The bus route from Chiang Mai to Hanoi is also available and will be explained in further detail below.
- As a budget means of transport, a bus will be priced at around US $50 for a direct route from Thailand to Vietnam.
- Transit to one destination in Cambodia or Laos is even cheaper up to your choice.
- Thailand - Cambodia - Ho Chi Minh City route costs only US $32 to US $35, while it goes from US $24 to US $26 for Thailand - Laos - Hanoi route
Bus From Thailand To Vietnam: Route, Price & Schedule
If you take a bus from Thailand to Vietnam, you can choose between two common routes: Thailand - Laos - Vietnam or Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam, which is guaranteed to serve different purposes.
For those who want to travel to Hanoi, it is suggested that travelers take Thailand - Laos - Vietnam path to reach Hanoi directly. If not, the other will take you to Ho Chi Minh City.
There will be no transit, and you will have to sit for about 10 hours on the bus. It is only recommended if the time you spend traveling between places is limited and you don't want to visit anything else besides the two countries.
Traveling by bus and transit in Laos or Cambodia is highly recommended for those who have much time on their vacation and are eager to visit other tourist spots in Laos or Cambodia.
- The direct buses from Thailand to Vietnam depart from Bangkok, through Laos and Cambodia, and get to Vietnam.
- The buses will depart from some destinations such as Phnom Penh, Cambodia, or Vientiane, Laos.
- After 1 to 2 hours of transit, you can continue your trip on a bus from Vientiane to Hanoi or Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City. The journey may take you longer to get to Vietnam from Thailand; however, during your time in Laos or Cambodia, you will have a chance to get to many fantastic tourist spots there.
Lao Thai International Bus
Schedule and Prices
Travel Mart and Virak Buntham Express are the main operators from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. The two buses usually cost US $30-$40/each. See the tables below for more information about the bus schedule to Phnom Penh.
|Operator||Trip||Departure Time||Arrival Time|
|Virak Buntham Express||1||1:00||13 hours later|
After arriving at Phnom Penh, you can visit places, then get to Vietnam on another bus. Giant Ibis Transport is the bus operator that offers Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh route. Just two buses are available daily, with US $18 per person. You need to go to Preah Moha Ksatreiyani Kossamak Ave to catch the bus. The chart below shows the schedule for this route:
|Trip||Departure Time||Arrival Time|
|1||8:00||6 hours and 30 minutes later|
Take The Bus To Vietnam
Likewise, if you follow the Thai - Lao - Viet route, you will also travel from Bangkok by bus, get to Vientiane, and from Vientiane, arrive at Hanoi. However, there are no direct buses from Bangkok to Vientiane, meaning you have to travel from Bangkok to Nong Khai and get from Nong Khai to Vientiane on an international bus. The buses will cost you $15 from Bangkok to Nong Khai. Here is the bus schedule for Bangkok - Nong Khai route.
|Trip||Departure Time||Arrival Time|
|1||6:45||9-10 hour later|
After arriving in Nong Khai, you need to take an international bus to Vientiane (Laos) for only $1.91. The bus schedule is flexible, and you can start your trip at 7:30, 9:30, 12:40, 14:30, 15:30, and 18:00. To get to Hanoi from Vientiane, you will have to travel on a sleeper bus. This type of bus departs from Vientiane Southern Bus Terminal at 17:00 and arrives at Hanoi Nuoc Ngam Station in 24 hours. The bus ticket will be from $25 to $28.
Inside The Sleeper Bus
Local Tips To Choose The Best Bus From Thailand To Vietnam
Traveling from Thailand to Vietnam by bus will be a long journey requiring you to have a stable health condition. If it is your first time taking the bus, think lucidly before booking it. Below are some local tips for choosing the best bus so you can follow them for the best experience:
- If you want to buy a bus ticket, you can book it through a website or directly buy it at the ticket booth at the bus station.
- To avoid scams, contact the bus operators through their website or phone number to ensure departure time and ticket price.
- If you are a stranger to booking a bus, you can have a travel agency do it. Usually, BestPrice Travel offers to help tourists with this. All you need to do is contact us through our website or call (+84) 4 3624-9007 so that we can book a bus for you.
Above are our recommendations on Thailand to Vietnam buses. If you are looking for tours combined with these countries, please visit Thailand, Cambodia Vietnam tour packages which already include transfers and excursions. Hope to see you and have a good trip with BestPrice Travel!
Questions & Answers (6)
Can I have the complete address of bus terminal? Can we buy ticket there ?
Hi, the exact boarding point depends on which bus operator you choose. If you book with Travel Mart Bangkok, the pick-up point is 51 Rongmai Soi, Chao Fa Rd., Chanasongkram, Phanakorn. They might sell tickets there since it's their office address.
Hıı, Presently i am in Bangkok.how can diectly go to easily Saigon from there.
You should take a flight and you will need a visa if you're not from a country that free visa when travel to Vietnam
Are there any toilets on these long-distance buses?
Usually, there's no toilets on these buses. However, they will stop at some rest stop stations on the way, so don't worry about it.
Since I'm not available till mid-night, does the bus provide the mid-night schedule for those like me?
You may have to use the transit bus instead of the direct bus as there are many choices for transit buses and some of them may depart at 1 a.m. However, it may takes a few days to travel from Thailand to Vietnam if you choose to travel by transit buses.
Hello, I Ave been wanting to travel from bangkok to hanoi or ho chi Minh and siem reap. I have very little time in Bangkok and my obstacles are organising visas and the time they take. Can the tour company take care of this? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to go. Any advice or help I would appreciate Kind Regards Eva
Hi Eva, please email us through: email@example.com so our travel consultant can take care of your request. Thank you so much.