How to Travel to Hue
In recent years, Hue has become one of the most well-liked tourist destinations in Central Vietnam. Although the city is well renowned for its historical attractions, it is also a lovely spot to unwind and have fun. It's crucial to understand how to go travel around Hue with suitable transportation.
Getting Around Hue
There are many methods of getting around in Hue, especially if you’re planning to explore its vast countryside and national parks during your holiday. Read on to find out more information on Hue transportation.
You can immediately notice multiple cyclos parked outside Hue Imperial City, as well as renowned pubs and restaurants, making it ideal for a relaxed trip through prominent sights in Hue City Centre. As cyclo drivers increase their rates for tourists, you need to prepare to haggle as low as you can and make sure you both agree on the exact amount before hopping on one
Cycling is great for sightseeing in Hue City Center. There are many hostels and bicycle stores with daily fees ranging from 25,000 VND ($1.08) to 30,000 ($1.3).
Half-day guided excursions on bikes to notable landmarks such as Hue Imperial City Centre, Minh Mang Tomb, Thien Mu Pagoda, and Thanh Toan Bridge are also available from several tour operators.
Taxi drivers are usually trustworthy, but ensure the meter is turned on. Trips begin at 15,000 VND ($0.68) for the first 2 kilometers and increase to 11,500 VND ($0.52) per kilometer after that. Some meters are inaccurate (showing up to 10 times the actual distance traveled), so make sure you know how far you are from your goal.
Motorcycle travel is perfect for people who wish to experience Hue like the locals, however, traffic in the city center may be somewhat congested during peak hours. As a result, we strongly advise you to practice off-road or take a brief journey in xe om (motorcycle taxi) to familiarize yourself with the traffic ahead of time.
Daily rates for motorcycle rentals are priced between 100,000 VND ($4.34) and 200,000 VND ($8.7) while helmets are available for purchase at VND 50,000 VND ($2.2) upwards. Some rental stores do provide helmets for customers so don’ mind asking them in advance.
How to Get to Hue from other places
There are some popular routes that every tourist should consider when traveling to Hue.
Hanoi to Hue
The distance from Hanoi to Hue is around 670 km and you have three options to travel which are by plane, by train, or by bus.
- By plane: Flying from Hanoi to Hue can save you a lot of time compared to using the train or bus. The journey takes only 1 hour and 15 minutes, and tickets start at $27. The airfare is varied depending on the day and time of traveling, yet sometimes, a flight can be less expensive than a sleeper train if you book ahead of time.
- By train: The “Reunification Express” stops by Hue, making several journeys a day between Hanoi, Da Nang, and Ho Chi Minh City. You can also book a sleeper train to go from Hanoi to Hue, take a rest, and travel for about 15 hours. The train tickets start from $16 to $33, changing according to the type of seats, how luxurious the train is, and when the departure date is.
- By bus: This is the cheapest choice to go from Hanoi to Hue at the price of $15.50. The bus journey is traveled at night and takes around 15 hours but can also be longer than expected due to the traffic. Regularly, buses leave Hanoi at 19.00 and arrive in Hue at around 9.00 the following day.
Hoi An to Hue
Traveling from Hoi An to Hue is convenient. With a short distance of around 120 km, you can either take the train, hop on an open bus for approximately 4 hours or ride a motorbike across the magnificent Hai Van Pass.
- Riding a motorbike: You can rent a motorbike and then self-drive it. Or you can take a motorbike tour where you can relax as a back-seat passenger and enjoy the view.
- Take the train: Hoi An does not have its own railway station so if you want to travel by train, you will have to get to Da Nang train station which might take 45-minute driving, then from there take a train to get to Hue.
- Travel by open bus: This method is common among locals and tourists to go from Hue to Hoi An or vice versa. It’s not only cheap ($6) but also more comfortable as it would take you directly to Hue without changing the methods of transportation. Buses arriving in Hue from the south, such as Hoi An and Da Nang, stop at the An Cuu station, which is roughly two miles southeast of Hue's city center.
Phong Nha to Hue
Hue is located 215 km away from Phong Nha and you have two options to choose from which are bus and train.
- The bus is a convenient and inexpensive way to travel between Hue and Phong Nha. Normally, a bus trip duration is only 3 hours and the cost is $6.5 per person for a one-way trip.
- The train takes longer to get to Hue and the ticket fee starts at a higher price of $8 (depending on the seat type you prefer).
- Similar to Hoi An, there is no train station in Phong Nha and the closest one is in Dong Hoi city. Dong Hoi train station is around 40 km south of Phong Nha which is one hour and a half away.
Ho Chi Minh City to Hue
The distance between Ho Chi Minh City and Hue is around 1050 km by land. Similar to the traveling route from Hanoi, getting from Ho Chi Minh to Hue can be done among these options: flight, bus, or train.
- By plane. There are direct flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Hue and the airfare is not so pricey compared to other methods of transportation, about 1,140,000 VND ($50) to 3,080,000 VND ($135).
- By train: The railway route from Ho Chi Minh to Hue will pass through Hai Van Pass. Train ticket ranges from $25 and the best seat to take is a sleeper berth which will give you the most comfort for such a long duration. The traveling time by train is approximately 18-20 hours.
- By bus: It takes approximately 25-27 hours and the price is around 340,000 VND ($16) and 700,000 VND ($29).
Whatever choice you made, you can book the tickets online to avoid any confusion at the departing station.
Hue is a great destination for cultural and history lovers, traveling to Hue is easy and it’s quite convenient to wander around the city. Visit BestPrice and join our Hue tours with suitable ways of transportation.
Hanoi - Hue Distance: 668 km Travel time: 1.15 hours Popular vehicle: Planes
The route from Hanoi to Hue is not short and requires proper preparations before you travel, among which choosing which transportation to go is the most important. If you are about to get to Hue from Hanoi, keep reading as we will give your a complete guide below.
Hue - Hoi An Distance: 120 km Travel time: 3 hours Popular vehicle: Bus
Hue and Hoi An are well-known tourist destinations in Vietnam. Traveling between these cities is quite easy as they are close to each other. Each method of transportation comes with advantages and disadvantages so pick the one that is the most suitable for you to have the best travel experiences. Read along to find out which is the best way to travel from Hue to Hoi An or vice versa.
Ho Chi Minh City - Hue Distance: 925 km Travel time: 1.2 hours Popular vehicle: Planes
Ho Chi Minh and Hue are both famous cities in Vietnam. If you want to travel between these two destinations during your vacation, then keep reading as the information below will give you all you need to know about how to travel between Ho Chi Minh City and Hue.
Da Nang - Hue Distance: 92 km Travel time: 2 hours Popular vehicle: Car
Coastal cities in central Vietnam, such as Hue and Da Nang, are must-see destinations for anybody planning a trip to Vietnam. Because these cities are so close together and many transferring options are available, making most visitors wonder which is the best decision to make. Read along to find out the answer to how to travel from Da Nang to Hue.