Vietnam Taxi: Best Brands & Prices [Updated]
Vietnam is a beautiful country with a rich culture and history, attracting millions of tourists every year. One of the most convenient ways to travel in Vietnam is by taxi. However, with so many taxi companies and drivers, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one and understand the fare system.
This guide will provide you with a comprehensive guide to taxi services and fares in Vietnam, including tips on how to hail a ride safely and avoid scams. Whether you're a first-time visitor or a seasoned traveler, this guide will help you navigate the streets of Vietnam with ease.
Traditional Vietnam Taxi
Top 5 Trusted Traditional Taxi Brands in Vietnam
1. Mai Linh Taxi
- Hotline: 1055 (Nationwide Switchboard Number)
- Operation: 63 cities in Vietnam, including big cities such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Hue, Hoi An, Da Lat, Phu Quoc, etc.
- Website: https://mailinh.vn/
- Fares: Varies based on location, car brand, etc.
Mai Linh Taxi was founded in 1993 and has since grown to become one of the largest taxi operators in the country. Their fleet consists of modern and well-maintained vehicles, ranging from sedans to SUVs, ensuring a comfortable and safe ride for passengers.
The company offers a variety of services to meet the needs of different customers, including airport transfers, city tours, and long-distance trips. Mai Linh Taxi also provides 24/7 service, allowing passengers to book a ride at any time of the day or night.
Mai Linh is One of The Largest Taxi Brands In Vietnam
2. Taxi Group
- Hotline: (024) 38 53 53 53
- Operation: Hanoi
- Website: http://taxigroup.com.vn/
With reasonable costs and professional services, Taxi Group is one of the top choices for customers traveling in Hanoi. The experienced driver team always takes customers’ safety first. Their operating management system is equipped with modern facilities to serve the distribution of vehicles. The regional system of vehicle quality assurance always meets when needed.
3. G7 Taxi
- Hotline: (024) 32 32 32 32 (Hanoi); (028) 38 16 16 16 (Ho Chi Minh City)
- Operation: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hue, Vinh Phuc, Thai Nguyen
- Website: https://g7taxi.vn/
Established since 2018, G7 Taxi has developed its brand through partnerships with reputable taxi companies, which have good drivers, good vehicles, and good financial resources to provide transportation services to customers. This is one of the most competitively priced units in the market with low, stable fares and no surge pricing.
4. Vinasun Taxi
- Hotline: (028) 38 27 27 27 (Ho Chi Minh City); (023) 63 68 68 68 (Da Nang)
- Operation: Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Binh Duong, Dong Nai, Dong Thap
- Website: https://www.vinasuntaxi.com/
Founded in 2003, Vinasun has become one of the taxi companies with the largest fleet in Ho Chi Minh City, with over 5000 cars, 70 groups, and more than 14,000 drivers. This brand specializes in providing taxi services with 4-seater and 7-seater cars. The company uses Toyota cars with spacious interiors and large luggage space, which can meet various customer needs.
- Hotline: (028) 38 111 111
- Operation: Ho Chi Minh City
- Website: https://vinataxi.vn/
VinaTaxi Company was established in 1992 under the management of ComfortDelGro Group - Singapore, one of the largest transportation groups in the world, and Tracodi Company (under the Ministry of Transport of Vietnam).
Featured with yellow cars, this is one of the most loved taxi brands in Ho Chi Minh City. VinaTaxi fleet uses high-class Toyota vehicles, modern equipment, and spacious interiors to bring comfort and relaxation to customers on each trip.
How Traditional Vietnam Taxi Fare Calculated?
To calculate taxi fares in Vietnam, there are a few factors that you need to consider:
- Base fare (open-door fare): This is the initial fee that you pay when you get into the taxi.
- Distance fare: The fare will increase as the distance you travel increases.
- Waiting time fare: If you ask the driver to wait for you, the fare will increase accordingly.
- Toll fees: If you travel on a toll road, you will have to pay the toll fees in addition to the taxi fare.
In Vietnam, most taxis use a taximeter to calculate the fare, so you don't need to worry too much about the calculation. However, if you want to estimate the fare, you can use the following formula:
Total fare = Base fare + Total distance fare + Waiting time fare + toll fees
The base fare and distance fare vary depending on the taxi company and the city you are in. The waiting time factor is usually around 10-15% of the distance fare per minute. You can ask the driver or the taxi company for more information about the fare calculation.
It should be noted that as the taxi fare in Vietnam is calculated based on the distance traveled, some drivers may take a longer route or detour to increase the fare. This can be a significant drawback, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area and do not know the optimal route.
How to Take a Traditional Taxi in Vietnam?
There are several ways to call a traditional taxi service in Vietnam:
- Phone call: You can call the taxi company directly by phone and provide your location and destination to the operator. Don't worry if you can’t speak the local language, these companies often have dedicated English-speaking operators to assist foreign travelers with any questions you have
- Mobile app: Many taxi companies in Vietnam have their own mobile apps that you can download on your smartphone. These apps allow you to book a taxi, track the driver's location, and pay for the ride using your phone.
- Street hailing: If you're in a busy area, you can simply stand on the sidewalk and wave your hand to hail a passing taxi. Make sure to check that the taxi is from a reputable company before getting in.
- Hotel or restaurant staff: If you're at a hotel or restaurant, you can ask the staff to call a taxi for you. They may have a preferred taxi company that they work with.
- Taxi stands: In some areas, there are designated taxi stands where you can wait for a taxi. These stands are usually marked with signs and may have a queue system in place.
No matter which method you choose, make sure to negotiate the fare with the driver before starting the journey to avoid any misunderstandings. You should plan your route and destination before getting into a taxi in Vietnam to avoid the driver taking unnecessary detours. It's also a good idea to remember the number plate of the taxi in case you forget any belongings or luggage, as you can contact the taxi company's customer service for assistance.
Ride-hailing apps (App-taxis / E-taxis)
Top 3 Most Popular Ride-hailing Apps in Vietnam
When it comes to getting around Vietnam, Grab is the most popular choice for both locals and foreign tourists. This ride-hailing app offers a convenient and safe way to travel, with competitive pricing and reliable drivers. Whether you're exploring the busy streets of Ho Chi Minh City or the historic sites of Hanoi, Grab can help you get there quickly and easily. With just a few taps on your smartphone, you can book a ride and track your driver's location in real-time. Plus, Grab offers a variety of payment methods, including cashless payment, so you don't have to worry about carrying around Vietnamese dong. Grab also offers a range of services, including car, motorbike, and even food delivery. So if you're looking for a hassle-free way to navigate Vietnam, be sure to download Grab before your trip!
- Website: https://www.grab.com/vn/en/
- Operation: 46 provinces and cities in Vietnam, including big cities such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, etc
- Service: taxi, motorbike, delivery, mart, etc.
Grab Is One Of The Most Popular App In Vietnam
Gojek is a multi-service technology platform that was founded in Indonesia in 2010. The platform offers a wide range of services, including ride-hailing, food delivery, shopping, and even financial services. Gojek has since expanded to several other countries in Southeast Asia, including Vietnam, where it has become a popular choice for both locals and foreign tourists. The app is available in multiple languages, including English, and offers a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to navigate and use. With its reliable services and affordable prices, Gojek has become a go-to option for those looking for a convenient and efficient way to get around and access various services in Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries.
- Website: https://www.gojek.com/vn/
- Operation: Urban cities such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, etc.
- Service: taxi, motorbike, delivery, mart, etc.
Gojek - A Multi-Service App Founded in Indonesia
Be is another popular ride-hailing app in Vietnam that foreign tourists can use to get around the country with ease. The app is available in English and offers a variety of transportation options, including cars, motorbikes, and delivery. With Be, you can easily book a ride from your current location to your desired destination, and the app will provide you with an estimated fare before you confirm your booking. Be also offers cashless payment options, making it convenient for travelers who may not have Vietnamese currency on hand. Overall, Be is a reliable and affordable option for getting around Vietnam, and is definitely worth considering for your next trip to this beautiful country.
- Website: https://be.com.vn/en/
- Operation: 27 provinces and cities in Vietnam, mainly in big cities such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, etc.
- Service: taxi, motorbike, delivery
Be is Another Popular Ride-Hailing App in Vietnam
How Do These Apps Calculate the Fares?
Ride-hailing apps like Gojek typically use a more sophisticated and transparent fare calculation system compared to traditional taxis. While conventional taxis often use a meter that calculates the fare based on distance traveled and time spent in the vehicle, ride-hailing apps use GPS technology to track the exact distance traveled and apply a per-mile or per-minute rate to calculate the fare. This means that riders can see the estimated fare upfront before confirming the booking, which helps to avoid any surprises or disputes over the final fare.
Additionally, ride-hailing apps often offer different types of services and vehicles, each with their own pricing structure. For example, Gojek offers several different ride options, including standard cars, motorbikes, and even premium vehicles, each with their own pricing tiers. This allows riders to choose the service that best fits their needs and budget.
Tips while using a taxi in Vietnam
Here are some things you need to keep in mind to ensure a safe and convenient ride.
- Identify a licensed taxi: Before getting on any taxi in Viet Nam, you should check whether it is licensed. The car should have a lightbox that says “TAXI” on top. The brand name, operating phone number, and logo on both sides of the cars are visible. There should be a price chart, a working meter connected to a receipt printer, and a name card of the taxi driver inside of the vehicle.
- Tipping: In Vietnam, customers are not required to leave a tip for a taxi driver. So you are not considered being rude for not doing so. However, you can tell the driver to keep the change if it is small.
Both traditional taxis and ride-hailing apps offer convenient options for getting around in Vietnam. While traditional Vietnam taxis may be a bit more expensive, they offer a reliable service and can be found easily throughout the country. Ride-hailing apps, on the other hand, provide a more flexible and transparent fare calculation system, making them a popular choice among locals and tourists alike.
If you're planning a trip to Vietnam and want to learn more about travel in the country, don't hesitate to contact BestPrice Travel. We offer a wide range of tour packages and travel services to help you make a smooth and hassle-free trip to Vietnam.
Image source: Internet
Questions & Answers (11)
Where should I book a taxi if i want to go for a long distance journey (eg: Hanoi to Ha long Bay or Ha long Bay to Nimh Binh)
Hi! Taxi at present isn't a good choice for traveling between Hanoi - Halong Bay or Halong Bay - Ninh Binh as the fare is really high and the car quality isn't guaranteed.
We suggest you should book modern shuttle bus to transfer between these destinations with sharing 9-seat or 11-seat spacious car at much cheaper price and is still really comfortable. Or if you prefer private transfer, you should book private car, the price is as high as taxi but the car quality is better.
Please send your request to our email: email@example.com or Whatsapp: +84904699428 if you want to book the modern shuttle bus or private car.
On the other hand, if you still want to book the taxi, you can contact taxi brand directly. At present, only Mai Linh taxi provide services in both Hanoi and Halong - phone: +842438333333 (Hanoi) & +84333628628 (Halong)
is it easy to get a taxi at night in Vietnam
Yes it is available until mid-night.
is it better to book a transfer online or wave a cab? are they the same?
It's better if you book private transfer with a reputable travel company/car provider/Grab. Waving a cab is quite risky, you may meet scams even when you try to catch a cab from a famous brand here.
Require Taxi from Hanoi Airport to Hotel Mayflower Hanoi,Vietnam. Arrival Time at hanoi Airport 6:05 AM. 9th June '23 What are the charges in USD and How do i book my ride.
You can book a transfer from our company. Price would be 20 USD/4 seats car/way. Our travel consultant will contact you very soon
How much from Saigon international Airport to 214/B15 Nguyễn Trãi, P. Nguyễn Cư Trinh, HCM, Vietnam?
It cost about 10 - 15 USD by taxi and 20 USD for private transfer