There are basically two ways to get to Vientiane from outside of Laos. One is by direct flight from nearby countries; the other is to cross the Thai – Lao Friendship Bridge connecting Vientiane with Nong Khai, Thailand.
1. Travel to Vientiane by Plane
Vientiane's Wattay International Airport (symbol: VTE) is about six kilometers west of the city center. The airport is served by only a small group of airlines, which includes China Eastern, EVA, Lao Aviation, Thai Airways, and Vietnam Airlines.
International destinations include Bangkok, Chiang Mai via Luang Prabang, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vinh, Kuala Lumpur, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap via Pakse, Seoul, Singapore, Changzhou, Guangzhou, Nanning, Kunming.
(*) From Bangkok, many visitors choose to fly into Udon Thani in Thailand, and cross the border by bus, as this domestic flight is considerably cheaper than a direct international flight to Vientiane.
Domestic destinations include Luang Prabang, Luang Nam Tha, Huay Xai, Xieng Khuang, Udomxai, Pakse, and Savannakhet.
Lao Airlines Plane
2. Travel to Vientiane by Train
It is easy to travel Vientiane from Bangkok by train, using the daily overnight sleeper train from Bangkok directly to the Thanaleng Train Station in Laos, then catch a local bus or tuk-tuk to central Vientiane, or you can use any of Bangkok - Nong Khai trains then making your way by bus or taxi between Nong Khai and Vientiane.
Sleeper train from Bangkok to Vientiane
3. Travel to Vientiane by Bus
- From Bangkok, it takes 12 hours and costs 30.42 USD
- From Kunming, it takes 32 hours and costs 89.43 USD.
- From Vinh, it takes 16 hours and costs 20 USD
- From Hanoi, it takes 22 hours and costs 25 USD
- From Phnom Penh, it takes 24 hours and costs 45 USD
- From Siem Reap, it takes 25 hours and costs 50 USD
Buying your ticket through a travel agency or guesthouse in Vientiane will cost more but it will include pick up from your accommodation and shuttle to the bus station or departure point.
- From Luang Prabang or Xiengkhuang, it usually takes 10 hours and costs from 110.000 Kips to 150.000 Kips (13.49 - 18.40 USD).
- From Pakse, it takes 10 - 12 hours and costs 110.000 Kips to 170.000 Kips (13.49 - 20.85 USD).
- From Savannakhet, it takes 8 - 10 hours and costs 100.000 Kips to 120.000 Kips (12.27 - 14.72 USD)
- From Huay Xai, it takes more than 12 hours and costs 230.000 Kips to 250.000 Kips (28.21 - 30.67 USD).
Bus to Vientiane
You may also like: Top things to do in Vientiane