The Best time to Visit Sapa and Halong Bay
Halong Bay & Sapa are two famous travel destinations in Northern Vietnam. Both of them are beautiful all year round with distinctive features. For tourists who want to get the most out of their vacation, this article will help you choose the best time to visit Sapa and Halong Bay.
Sapa is known as the "City of the Mist" by locals for the beautiful scenery hidden behind the shimmering haze, often featured in world photography contests as a highlight of Northern Vietnam.
Meanwhile, Halong Bay boasts incredible scenery and an emerald seascape with thousands of limestone islands, hidden caves, and lagoons suitable for many water-related activities.
Sapa & Halong Bay Weather
The two destinations slightly differ in temperature and weather conditions. Let's discover them below.
- A subtropical climate with changing weather each day (often called “four seasons in a day”).
- In the morning, there is a drizzle and high humidity. Noon sees sunlight that characterizes the summer season, and the temperature drops lower towards evening.
- Located high above sea level, Sapa has a lower average temperature than the delta area.
- The distinctive seasonal condition calls for a unique blooming season of many different flowers.
For more information, check out the Sapa weather overview
- Tropical monsoon climate, so there are certain times when traveling is more pleasant.
- Spring begins in March and ends in May. June marks a rise in rainfall and temperature as it enters summer.
- September - November has mild weather and winter (December - February) is when it is the foggiest and coldest.
You might know more about the Halong Bay weather overview
Best Time To Visit Sapa And Halong Bay
For those planning a trip with both of these spots in their itinerary, the weather is the most suitable in Autumn (mid-August to October) and Spring (March to April).
Autumn season - mid-August to October
- The rice terrace fields in Sapa are ripe, turning the vast area yellow, combining with green mountain slopes, making it a captivating sight to see.
- Halong Bay enters its pleasant weather condition where it is less sunny and cooler than the previous summer months.
Sapa & Halong Bay temperatures during this time hover at around 25°C - 32°C with beautiful sunshine and a clear crystal sky. At night, the weather might get cooler, and some occasional rain may happen.
Golden rice terrace in Sapa
Autumn brings a romantic atmosphere to Northern Vietnam without extreme sun, tourists also don't have to worry about unexpected bad weather.
Regardless, this period is great for any sightseeing activity, such as trekking in the mountains, exploring the local villages with ethnic life, swimming, and kayaking.
*Note: Perfect weather attracts a lot of tourists, so you may not find the best Halong Bay cruise and hotel deals.
Spring season - March to April
- The time when various flowers are blooming in Sapa makes it the perfect time to go trekking.
- Halong Bay welcomes the spring season with misty and mizzle, which make the bay looks charming and picturesque.
Two destinations in spring enjoy calm and mild weather. Rainfall usually does not increase until May, so this is a great season to take an excursion and witness the beautiful natural & lush scenery.
Breathtaking view of Halong Bay in Spring
Though tourists don't get the chance to see ripe terraces, the blooming season in Sapa is rewarding for flower lovers. The magnificent sights of blossoms painting the valleys & hills with colorful colors can captivate everyone, which you shouldn't miss.
North Vietnam in this period is blessed with delightful weather and low domestic tourism - a perfect chance to go trekking in Sapa and go swimming/kayaking in Halong Bay.
Ideal Time To Visit Halong & Sapa Individually
For travelers who want to visit one of the two spots, it is also essential to choose favorable weather conditions and the availability of tourism services.
- The best time to travel to Halong is in Spring and Autumn. During these two seasons, the weather is pleasant and suitable for many activities: cruising, kayaking, swimming,...
- The best time to visit Sapa is from February to March (flower season) and August - September (rice terrace season) when the weather is stable and the scenery is top-notch.
Avoid visiting Halong Bay from May to early August
- Peak domestic season.
- Visitors are more likely exposed to excessive sunshine, which can be harmful.
- Unexpected downpours and storms, Halong Bay cruises are subject to cancellation, along with other plans.
Bring warm clothes during Spring and Winter
- Since Halong Bay is in the sea and Sapa is in the mountain, the temperature may drop low during night time.
- If you want to go outside in the evening, remember to wear warm clothes to avoid the cold.
You may experience extremely humid weather in February & March
- Although this period is good to travel, there are still 3-5 days has bad weather conditions which only happen in Northern Vietnam.
- The atmosphere can get very humid with drizzle, so remember to keep your clothes dry at all costs.
*Note: Avoid the weekends as local people flock to these destinations during this time. There is often an additional surcharge as well.
All in all, the best time to visit Sapa and Halong Bay is early Spring & Fall. With more than 10 years of experience, BestPrice Travel is happy to accommodate you, regarding booking plane tickets, hotels, and Halong Bay - Sapa tour packages.
Want to plan a trip to these 2 destinations, here are the Best Hanoi Sapa Halong Bay Vietnam Itinerary 6 days
Image source: Google