Halong Bay Weather in December: Temperature & Things to Do
December is the coldest time of the year in Halong Bay. Sometimes you can see the sunshine, sometimes it can be foggy. Understanding the weather condition before your trip is necessary, let's review the detail about Halong Bay weather in December for an unforgettable journey.
- The climate in December is still good for traveling, not too cold for international tourists
- Celebrating Chrismas & New Year’s Day on a Halong cruise is highly recommended due to the lower surcharge than hotels
- December is a wonderful time to just relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery, especially suitable for relaxation lovers
Halong Bay December Weather & Temperature
- Temperature: The Halong Bay weather in December is still better than in many other parts of the globe featuring an average temperature of around 19°C, which is cool for people living in cold areas.
- Sunlight: With sunlight hours per day of up to 8 hours, Halong this month allows active travelers to enjoy diverse aquatic activities.
- Humidity: December has one of the lowest levels of humidity during the whole year with an average humidity of about 66%.
- Rainfall: The average rainfall is 22 mm, which is much drier than in the summertime, making it much more enjoyable to do exercise and outdoor activities as compared to the muggy summer months.
December is quite good for traveling to Halong Bay. It is winter time, but not as freezing as you may think.
4 - 8 days
8 hours per day
Halong Bay weather December
Outstanding Halong Events & Festivals
Chrismas & New Year's Eve
- Time: 25th December - 1st January
December, the last month of the year celebrates the world's biggest holidays: Christmas & New Year.
If you are on a cruise during this time, there may be an interesting activity on board to celebrate these occasions.
The cruise will be decorated with a lot of beautiful lights and ornaments, you can join the BBQ dinner, sing, dance, and drink.
Christmas Celebration on the Scarlet Peral Cruise
Popular Activities in December
Relaxing on a cruise
- Best for: Rejuvenators
For relaxation lovers, relaxing on board and admiring the stunning beauty of Halong Bay nature is a perfect choice.
Even if it is foggy in the early morning or late afternoon, you can see a mystic bay which people can never have that view on sunny days.
Mysterious islands are hidden under thin fog when the boat is cruising slowly, passing the towering limestone pillars and discovering the scenery in front, which is so beautiful.
Moreover, Halong Bay Cruise is among the best choices for special occasions like Christmas & New Year's Day.
Resting on the sundeck of the Sena Cruise
- Best for: Active travelers
If you are looking for some interesting outdoor activities to explore the Halong Bay landscapes thoroughly, kayaking through the hidden caves is a perfect choice for you.
After a few movements, you will get warm and get used to the water. The humidity level this month is quite low, so you can ease your mind due to the less possibility of rain affecting your activity.
Exploring the bay together with friends by kayaking
- Best for: Chill-out retreaters
Halong Bay weather in December is suitable for chill-out retreaters to join a lot of chilling activities, especially beach relaxation.
Have an enjoyable beach holiday in Halong
You can just relax on the pristine white sand and admire the unspoiled landscape if there is a low chance of rain, the weather is dry with lots of sunshine.
There are several cruises ideal for a wonderful beach vacation you can consider:
Insider Tips for Travelling in December
- Stay on a cruise on Christmas and New Year's eve to save money because the surcharge for hotel accommodation is often higher than a cruise.
- Contact your travel consultant to check carefully before booking due to surcharges for Christmas & New Year's Eve on some cruises.
- If you do not want to pay a surcharge, chose to stay in 3 stars hotels or less.
- Book a cruise in advance to avoid disappointment. Though December is not the time when local people travel, the cruises can be fully booked by foreign tourists.
- As it can be cold at night, you had better bring warm clothes like a puffer jacket, or sweater.
- Prepare a light waterproof jacket in case the weather is foggy.
- Hats, caps, or sunscreen are still necessary for sunny days. In addition, you may need a pair of athletic shoes for visiting the caves.
- The low humidity level may cause dryness to your skin, so you should bring a moisturizing cream.
Pros & Cons of Traveling in December
- The low humidity levels, long sunshine hours, and warm Halong Bay in December weather are perfect to explore Halong Bay and take part in outdoor activities.
- Low rainfall and dry water make Halong bay calm and there is no storm, so you can confidently book the cruise without any worries about canceling the trip.
- Moreover, December is the favorite time for western tourists but not domestic tourists. So you can avoid the crowd of local people, and enjoy a more private beach.
- Halong Bay temperature in December can drop to 15 degrees Celsius some days or there can be heavy fog and drizzle, you may need to wear a jacket or a warm sweater.
- Besides, Christmas & New Year is in December, so there will be a surcharge for these days. Halong Bay can be busier on this occasion.
In general, the weather in Halong Bay in December is quite good for traveling. The low humidity will enable you to join in various outdoor activities without worrying about rain.
(Image sources: Internet)