Da Nang: An Attractive Middle Point
Other than an important roles in hosting and transferring visitors, Da Nang itself is a picturesque city with a complex topography, where visitors can find both history richness and tropical havens.
Unlike the other two largest cities of Vietnam, Da Nang is a much more peaceful place with so much to offer. The city is growing into one of the most urbanized area which owns beautiful beach front, tranquil Han river and many tourist attractions.
Dragon Bridge Da Nang
Besides, Da Nang is the right place to discover authentic Vietnamese central cuisine. With many street vendors and local restaurants which offer a variety of seafood and local specialties, Da Nang never fails to impress any traveler at all.
Da Nang was first found by a Portuguese explorer named António de Faria. He anchored off the coast and reported in 1535.
Da Nang has been a trading port since the 16th century. Developed into a large shipbuilding site and also one of the most crowded trading ports in Vietnam, Da Nang became the largest commercial port of the region.
Being peaceful and steadily urbanized, the place has suffered from much severe wars indeed. Da Nang was where the French first started their colonial attack.
In 1965, the US military took over the place. They built air and army bases around Da Nang, which results in the fact that Da Nang was one of the most affected regions by chemical Agent Orange. The toxic chemical was stored at the airport by the US then absorbed into the soil and water supply. Da Nang was the home of the Vietnamese, but then it was taken to be the American soldiers’ resting and recuperation place after attacking other cities.
Top recommended attractions in Da Nang
Da Nang City
- My Khe beach: Da Nang is recognized as a worth-living coastal city of Vietnam. The city is well known for many tourist attractions, but the most famous site is My Khe Beach, voted by Forbes as one of the six most charming beaches on the planet. thus coming to My Khe beach, tourists will be attracted by a variety of sports-related activities. Some exciting yet adventurous sports that you can engage in include: volleyball, surfing, jet-skiing, parasailing, banana boat ride, parachute jumping, kayaking, diving, and watching coral… My Khe is also an ideal destination for travelers as there are many hotels, resorts from vintage to fancy style to choose from.
- Son Tra Peninsula is a great place to visit when traveling in Da Nang, Viet Nam. Located in Tho Quang ward, Son Tra district, the Son Tra peninsula is a primeval forest with beautiful landscapes having the greatest diversity of the ecosystem. There are many interesting places to visit during your stays in the Son Tra peninsula, such as Linh Ung Pagoda, Ban Co Top (Chessboard Top), the Ancient Banyan Tree, and Tien Sa beach.
Linh Ung Pagoda in Da Nang
- Marble Mountain: Da Nang is voted as a worth-living city of Vietnam. The city draws attention to travelers with its many famous tourist attractions, one of which is Marble Mountain, located in Ngu Hanh Son District. Within a few minutes of driving from the center of the city, Marble Mountain with its ancient yet pristine beauty will surely surprise tourists from their first sight. Coming to the mountain, you can witness historical traces from the Cham as well as the Vietnam War. That’s why Marble Mountain is believed to be a bridge connecting the past and present, together with reflecting the beauty of Vietnamese history and culture.
- Ba Na Hills: As Central Vietnam continues to receive a large influx of domestic and foreign tourists every year, Ba Na Hills has gradually become one of the most exciting tourist destinations in this economically growing region. Located in the Truong Son Mountains, 26 miles (42 kilometers) west of Da Nang city, Ba Na Hill is both a natural hill station and a luxury resort with an entertainment hub. The most recent and best-known attraction at Ba Na Hills is the famed Golden Bridge. Not only famous on Facebook and Instagram, but this architectural work is also mentioned on major news, which you cannot miss when visiting Da Nang.
Ba Na Hills Da Nang
Da Nang people are famous to be friendly, hard-working, and easy-going. They would do any favor for a stranger if it is acceptable or minor, which could hardly be found in big cities where citizens coming from many places.
Besides the friendly people, and iconic landscape, Da Nang is also well-known for plenty of great local food. Da Nang specialties are so worth trying each once, especially My Quang (a kind of noodle cooked with many kinds of toppings). There are many good street vendors, local restaurants, and even nightlife western cuisine offered in Da Nang. Spending a whole week would be still not enough to discover it all.
Da Nang Weather
Da Nang Summer
Da Nang is hottest during May – September period while the rainy season ranges from September to January.
The most favorable time for tourism is from February to May. The weather during this time is quite pleasant with low rainfall, convenient for chilling and sports activities.
It is recommended to avoid coming in the summer (from June to the end of August) due to overcrowded. However, tour and hotel service is always available upon request anytime throughout the year.
Da Nang Transportation
It takes 16 to 20 hours to travel by train from Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city for longer, depending on train traffic. However, the train does not offer really good service due to lack of renovation. Travelers are recommended to travel by airway for the most convenience.
Wandering around Da Nang is as easy as in any other big city with plenty of taxis, rented motorbikes, Grab, etc. Thanks to being less populated, Da Nang traffic is much more relaxing and easier to ride.
Motorbike is popular in Da Nang
- Don’t forget to stop by Hoi An: Travelers often combine visiting Da Nang and Hoi An in one tour since the two places are only 30 minutes driving. As one UNESCO-heritage site, Hoi An Ancient Town will definitely give you thousands of reasons to come back.
- Pass by Hai Van pass would be great: Hai Van pass is a 21km mountain pass from Da Nang to Hue, which is most popular to motorcycle riders thanks to the beautiful road. More importantly, the pass gives away some of the most magnificent ocean views in Vietnam. If you can ride, there is no reason to try passing by Hai Van to enjoy this incredible view.
Top places to visit in Da Nang
Recommended Da Nang Itineraries
Da Nang Ba Na Hills Cable Car Ticket10.0Excellent - 1 reviewDa Nang - Ba Na Hills/pax
Ba Na Hills Full Day9.4Excellent - 1 reviewDa Nang - Ba Na Hills - Hoi An/pax
A Glimpse of the Central Vietnam 5 days9.6Excellent - 4 reviewsDa Nang - Hue - Hoi An - My Son Sanctuary/pax