Halong Bay Storm: How to Deal with Cancelation
All cruise companies in Halong Bay need permission to be allowed to sail in Halong Bay from the Management Board of Halong Bay. In case of bad weather conditions, the cruise can be postponed, shortened, or canceled and Halong Bay Management Board will be in charge of making decisions.
All cruise companies in Halong Bay need permission to be allowed to sail from the Management Board of Halong Bay. In case of bad weather conditions, cruises can be postponed, shortened, or canceled and Halong Bay Management Board will be in charge of making decisions. If your cruise is canceled by the Management Board of Halong Bay due to unexpected bad weather, cruise companies and travel agents CAN NOT do anything as it is for your safety.
Fog cover all the bay
What is bad weather that might occur in Halong Bay?
Reasons for cruise cancellation for bad weather in Halong Bay are usually known as tropical storms, typhoons, thick fog, tropical monsoons, cyclones, and thunderstorms.
1. Tropical storm and typhoon (July – September)
Summer is the time when tropical storms break out in the area and bring heavy rain. The period from May to July is considered storm weather in Halong Bay with many unpredictable weather conditions. Hence, cruises will be canceled with short notice.
At the end of summer and early autumn, there are heavy rains and powerful tropical storms with strong affection. September is often the time when the major storms in the south pacific tend to drift across towards Vietnam, sometimes leading to considerable damage. The chances of your cruise being disrupted by a storm are still extremely low, but it is higher in September than in previous months.
2. Foggy weather (January – February)
In the winter, from December to the end of February, the weather is cold with strong wind. There are times of heavy fog with low visibility in December, January, and February. In extremely foggy conditions where human vision is limited to a short distance, the tour will be canceled.
3. Monsoon (October – late March or early April)
Northeast monsoon in winter is now one of the 3 most frequent reasons to force tours canceled in Halong Bay, it is even more difficult to prepare for it in advance, sometimes causing many disappointments. The northeast monsoon can also affect tropical cyclones over the sea and Halong Bay in particular. As the result, the wind and sea level are not safe for cruising during this time. Unlike cancellation tours by storms, monsoon causes tour cancellation in a short time (a day or two days) then the tour is fine to operate in the next days.
You might also like Best Time to Visit Halong Bay for Perfect Weather & Great Deals
How to deal with cancellations due to bad weather?
A final decision by the Halong Bay Management Board is usually known only at 3.00 p.m. on the day of departure. Make sure to check updated news before your departure and listen to any advice that you are given in bad weather. Leave your contact details, such as your hotel in Hanoi or your mobile number in Vietnam to receive the cancellation news as soon as possible.
- In case cancellation news was informed before the departure from Hanoi, contact your travel agents to know the cancellation time and when you could get the next trip or any alternative option. There are some day trips around Hanoi that you can consider (if you would love to). Also, check your hotel booking in your hotel.
- In case cancellation news was informed when you had arrived at Halong Bay, the cruise operator will arrange lunch for you and transfer you back to Hanoi. You can choose to stay at a hotel in Halong for the next day's cruise (not recommended for cancellations due to storms with bad Halong Bay rainy season and customers having to wait a number of days for cruising again).
- In case cancellation news was informed when you had been on your trip in the bay, the trip would be shortened, and other arrangements would be made by cruise operators. If the weather is expected to be better on the next day and you are on the first day of the trip, you will be advised to stay one night at a hotel in Halong instead of overnight on the cruise and your trip will continue on the next day. If the weather is bad, the cruise operator will arrange to transfer you back to the hotel in Hanoi and you can choose other alternative options (if you want).
Let's read more: What Should You Do If Halong Bay Cruise Is Canceled?
(Images source: Internet)