Top 10 Great Things to Do in South Vietnam
With its developed Ho Chi Minh City, Southern Vietnam has always been one of the key economic regions in Vietnam. The South also has many things for you to explore - from well-known historical sites, poetic beaches, to attractive entertainment areas.
To make your first trip to Vietnam easier and help you get the most incredible travel experience, we have created an ultimate list of Top 10 Great Things to Do in South Vietnam. Be ready and pack your luggage now!
- 1. Cruise Through the Mekong River
- 2. Visit Cu Chi Tunnel
- 3. Learn About Vietnam History At War Museum
- 4. Go Shopping At Ben Thanh Market
- 5. Try Sai Gon Local Food
- 6. Enjoy Dinner On Cruise At Sai Gon River
- 7. Relax At Phu Quoc Island
- 8. Explore Breathtaking Red And White Sand Dunes In Mui Ne
- 9. Experience Homestay At Mekong Delta
- 10. Explore Cai Rang Floating Market
1. Cruise Through the Mekong River
- Best For: Luxury travelers, Chill-Out and Recharge Retreaters
- Average Price: From US $1000 per pax
- Explore waterways of the Mekong Delta
- Discover main spots in Cambodia
- Upstream from South Vietnam to Cambodia
- Downstream from Cambodia to South Vietnam
Taking a Mekong River cruise tour is one of the most luxurious ways to explore the Mekong Delta's magical waterways. You can take a luxurious boutique river cruise from Cambodia (Phnom Penh or Siem Reap) to Vietnam (Saigon), and vice versa. Unlike Halong Bay cruises, a Mekong cruise trip is much longer and may take up to 10 days, depending on which itinerary you choose.
The tour begins with a scenic expedition to a famous village. Then the wooden boat takes tourists on a leisurely cruise along the Mekong River's dense canals, passing many floating markets, fish farms, Buddhist temples, and colonial buildings. You will have an unforgettable overnight trip at various locations along the way, to learn more about the diverse culture of locals here.
RV Mekong Princess - One Of The Most Luxury Mekong Cruise
2. Visit Cu Chi Tunnel
- Have an underground tour to witness the life of Vietnamese soldiers during the Vietnam War
- See horrible booby traps, concealed hatches with sharp pins, and secret entrances
- Take photos of old remnants in the reenactment areas, such as aircraft
- Try Shooting Range with real guns. The price is from US $6 per person, depending on how much time you want to enjoy
After the war ended, the Cu Chi tunnels became a national historic site attracting many tourists. The famous American television channel CNN also ranked Cu Chi Tunnels as one of the 12 most attractive underground works globally. This site is a refuge of the Southern army in the resistance war against invading enemies.
Experience the 120m long tunnel system with two floors by yourself, you will be able to experience the life of the Saigon people right in the war of ammunition. During the Cu Chi tour, you can enjoy wartime specialties, such as sweet potato and boiled cassava, eaten with sesame salt.
Explore The Underground Tunnel System In Cu Chi
3. Learn About Vietnam History At War Museum
To reproduce the heroic history, the War Remnants Museum is an ideal place for history lovers who want to relive the fierce days of the war. The War Remnants Museum is a vivid photo of Vietnam's war against the United States. These cultural relics and other images serve as conclusive evidence for condemning the crimes of the invading colonists and, at the same time, reflect the people's will to fight and win for national independence.
Many fascinating topics, such as "Wartime World" or "The Story of Orange Victims", make many people angry or painful. Currently, the museum has more than 20,000 documents and cultural relics. Every year, thousands of tourists come here to learn about the historical period of this country and burn down the patriotism of that era.
Learn Vietnam History In War Museum
- Outdoor: Heavy weapon display
- Ground floor: The world supported Vietnam during the war
- First floor: Agent Orange’s effects on Vietnam people
- Second floor: Brutal truth about Vietnam War
4. Go Shopping At Ben Thanh Market
If there is a Dong Xuan market in Hanoi, the South constitutes the Saigon original market. In more than one hundred years of existence and development, the Ben Thanh Market is a commercial place and a witness to many important historical events in old Saigon.
Going inside the market, you will be overwhelmed by a variety of colorful products at handicraft stalls. Delicate and beautiful little objects, brocade towels will make you fall in love immediately. For those who like to shop, the clothing-accessories booths will meet your needs from A to Z. This is the golden address for finding the most beautiful and cheapest local items in Saigon!
Ben Thanh Market At Night
5. Try Sai Gon Local Food
Although the cuisine of Sai Gon does not have a long history like it is in the North and Central, it has changed recently due to cultural integration. Like southern cuisine, Sai Gon cuisine is influenced by Chinese, Cambodian, and Thai cuisines and is characterized by the frequent use of sugar and coconut milk. These dishes have regional characteristics and create unique flavors, carefully processed and eye-catching, leaving an indelible mark on the hearts of distant diners.
If you are a food lover, trying tasty street food in Sai Gon is a must.
Remember To Taste Sai Gon Local Food, You Won't Be Disappointed!
6. Enjoy Dinner On Cruise At Sai Gon River
Sai Gon - The city of night entertainment will always appeal to everyone who loves the bustling life. Here you can find enjoyable culinary and relaxing sightseeing when getting on the Sai Gon dinner cruise - the perfect choice to end a full night together with your lover or family.
You will have a chance to try appetizing local cuisines while admiring the attractive beauty of twinkling Sai Gon City at night. Traditional Vietnamese-style dishes on wooden tables and chairs, as well as folk music performances, make your dinner not only rich in flavor but also unique. European and Asian dishes and typical Vietnamese dishes prepared by experienced chefs will surely provide you with a delicious meal.
Dinner On Saigon Princess Cruise
7. Relax At Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc is a rich land with ancient forests, rich flora and fauna, and countless beautiful beaches hidden behind forests. Entering this site comes close to unspoiled nature. Not having a full-service landmark, this place also has a completely unspoiled island with no inhabitants or intervention from the mainland. These spots are ideal for outdoor sports such as camping, swimming, or going deep into the wilderness with its long burning meadows.
Relax On Phu Quoc Island
- Enjoy various exciting games at the entertainment system VinWonders Phu Quoc
- Explore the marine world and see coral reefs by snorkeling on Doi Moi Island
- Discover the beautiful nature of Phu Quoc National Park
- Learn more about the history of Vietnam at the Phu Quoc Prison
- Admire the beauty of the island from a high position by cable car
- Pay a visit to pepper plantations, sim wine factory, and fish sauce factory
8. Explore Breathtaking Red And White Sand Dunes In Mui Ne
Only on the dunes known as the Sahara Desert in Vietnam, Red and White Sand Dunes in Mui Ne will enable you to enjoy a whole day of fun and entertaining games. When participating in motorcycle racing activities, traveling with you or your loved ones can be exciting.
This place will bring you a perfect and pleasant sightseeing experience, especially when you climb to the top of a mountain with many peaks and take many impressive photos. For all couples, watching the sunset on the sandy slopes fade away, with red flames in the sky, is an absolutely romantic scene.
Enjoy Breathtaking Red & White Sandune In Mui Ne By Jeep
9. Experience Homestay At Mekong Delta
No matter where you go, living with locals in the Mekong Delta is one of the best ways to immerse yourself in local life and explore the culture of the region. Moreover, staying some days with host families in the Mekong Delta is also ideal for getting rid of a prosperous life. It's time to spend one or more nights in the Delta, and you will have the opportunity to integrate with the life of the villagers and learn valuable knowledge about their customs and habits. This type of trip in the Vietnam vacation package is considered to exceed your imagination and expectations.
Besides, the villagers will not hesitate to let you try some exciting activities in daily life, such as tree planting, farming, fishing, enjoying trade at the floating market, and so on. Although the nails are stained with dirt, and the face and clothes are stained with mud, it is still worth your experience because you share the joy and hardship with the locals and highly appreciate their efforts.
Mekong Delta Homestays
10. Explore Cai Rang Floating Market
The floating market is a cultural feature of the provinces in Southwest Vietnam. If you go to this area, nothing better than coming to one of the biggest floating markets in the Mekong Delta - Cai Rang Market, and you will experience sailing and explore hundreds of busy boats trading various agricultural products.
Of course, you are immersed in the active business atmosphere of people in the river. Coming to the Market at dawn, you will not only hold yourself in the exciting atmosphere, crowded with buyers and sellers, but also have the opportunity to admire the beautiful picture of the river and sky.
Explore Cai Rang Floating Market
- Visit Cai Rang Floating Market is one of the best ways to know more about the lives of local people in the Mekong Delta, especially suitable for cultural travelers.
- Coming to the market, it’s best to try various tasty tropical fruits, the owner always prepares to peel them, and everyone here is very friendly and hospitable.
- If you are lucky to travel to Cai Rang coinciding with the festival season, it's time to enjoy the bold traditional cultural identity of the Southern region.
Southern Vietnam, with its hidden and endless beauty, has never stopped attracting domestic and foreign tourists. It's such a pity if you don't explore and admire the endowments of nature in Vietnam, as every place in this S-shaped country has its own beauty.
If you are looking for South Vietnam Package Tours, please feel free to contact us. We will arrange an unforgettable trip for you.
Image source: Internet